Found a Z, what do you think it's worth??

OK so I have more than a few leads from a wanted add in the local paper for a 240Z or 260Z.

I've also had a few ring up with 280ZX's.

Is there a difference between the 280Z and ZX?? Not for me to buy and do up, but maybe use as a parts car?? Like dash and seats etc, does anything swap straight over.

The 2.8L engine in the ZX is the one that you guys put into 40's and 60's but usually carbied or turbo'd? One guy said he'd let me rip the 2.8L out of a 280ZX for $400. I'm not sure if thats a good deal or not. What do you guys reckon.

280Z's were only sold in America, they had the same body shape as a 240/260 and came with an L28.  It could be that they are just forgetting the 'X'. :)

Didnt NZ import the 280z..?

You're probably right.  :)  Just having a read in Wikipedia, these special editions sound interesting.

In 1977 and 1978, Datsun offered special edition models, with one being the "Black Pearl". The Black Pearl edition (produced only in 1978) came with Black Pearl paint and a "Special Appearance Package" (SAP), which consisted of dual racing mirrors, rear window louvers. and a unique red and silver stripe. It is estimated that between 750-1,500 of these cars were produced. The "Zap" was offered in 1977 as a "Special Decor Package" edition with bright yellow paint and a big black stripe down the center and full length on the sides, with yellow, red and orange chevrons at front end of the stripes. It estimated that 1,000 "Zap Z" cars were offered in 1977. The "Zap Z" model was also used as the pace car in the 1977 Long Beach Gran Prix.

Ok, been out looking at more cars to buy as 'the car' and a parts car/s.

I need somethings cleared up from those in the know on 280Z/ZX's:

1. Do they have R200 diffs and tail and drive shafts etc that suit 240/260Z's?

2. Are the manuals worth anything or are they more sort after to replace an earlier manual gearbox from a 240/60Z? You don't see many manual 280ZX's up here.

3. One 280ZX is an 82 model and has an N42 head with an F54 block and has a manual gearbox. The other is an 80 model and has a N42 head with an N42 block? and is also a manual. Which block (N42/F54) is best to use when building a higher compression motor with an older head (2.4L etc).

4. I see someone off here is chasing an inlet manifold ecu and injection gear from a 2.8L. What are these worth (generally)?? I didn't want to ruin his wanted thread :-X.

Thankyou to those who help me out. I'm still obvioulsy new at this and have been researching head and block numbers all day and my head is about to explode but I'm still not clear on the best combo or what parts are interchangable.

If I can get these two cars for cheap and wreck most of the bits off them I might end up getting a 2.8L block for my own rebuild for free ;D

CHeers

Tim

No way, I'm still buying a 240Z (possibly the cranbrook one) but these 280Z's have come up and I might (pending replies to my questions) be able to use some of their parts for the 240Z ;)

• Moderators

AS far as I know;

1,  They do have R200 Diff's but the half/tail shafts or only good for 280's

2, It all comes down to what people prefer driving like 240/260 zeds..the 280ZX box's are second choice over a 260 box. If you can't find a good 260, next best thing is a 280 one. It's mainly first gear thats different.

3, Sometimes a F54 block has the flat top pistons but I've heard some did come with dished. I had a N42/N42 combo and that had dished pistons. Alot of people were after the P90 head but with my previous setup, I made plenty of Kw's with a F54/N42 setup. If you have a  F54 flat top piston bottom end, and a closed chamber N42 head, unless you run avgas, be prepared for some pinging...

4, As for EFI systems off a 280, they used to go for around $150-200? Not for performance....good for just commuting around.

AS far as I know;

1,  They do have R200 Diff's but the half/tail shafts or only good for 280's

2, It all comes down to what people prefer driving like 240/260 zeds..the 280ZX box's are second choice over a 260 box. If you can't find a good 260, next best thing is a 280 one. It's mainly first gear thats different.

3, Sometimes a F54 block has the flat top pistons but I've heard some did come with dished. I had a N42/N42 combo and that had dished pistons. Alot of people were after the P90 head but with my previous setup, I made plenty of Kw's with a F54/N42 setup. If you have a  F54 flat top piston bottom end, and a closed chamber N42 head, unless you run avgas, be prepared for some pinging...

4, As for EFI systems off a 280, they used to go for around $150-200? Not for performance....good for just commuting around.

1. OK thanks, so even if I did manage to fit it I'd need different crossmembers and half shafts anyway.

4. Cheers. I wasn't going to use the efi, just considering if I bought the car for the block if there was anything on it like the efi/gearbox or diff that I could flog on ebay.