4 point harness mounting points

djc2004

the 4 point harnessess that came with my car are currently incorrectly mounted. the over the shoulder part of the belts go over the (dodgy)strut brace and then bolt to the floor behind. Legally they must be almost horizontal (+/- ten degrees) to the top of the seat to stop them from breaking the seat back in an accident. Soooo I would like to mount them on the strut tops but i think i might have to attach them to the strut brace to line up correctly. Anyone done this before? Any thoughts? - Are there strut braces out there with mounting points welded on?

cheers

David

From the engineer who did my car, the strut brace is nowhere near strong enough to support an adult in an accident unless it is thick and welded to the car. I had an adaptor made up that pretty much uses a high tensile bolt to hold the strut brace and harness down in the centre of the three strut bolts. Hard to explain but made of billet steel and extremely strong. But it depends on if you want to get it engineered. i was to understand it was 45 degrees or less from the top of the seat and 10 degrees to the sides, at least in Canberra it is.

If you can, check whatt the harness manufacturuer says. From memory the best angles for a sedan based car, ie not single seater, is at around 10-30deg from horizontal down. Be very careful how you mount them and if in any doubt talk to an engineer, as this sort of thing is potentially deadly if you get it wrong.

The harness in my Zed is attached by looping the shoulder straps over the rear strut brace, which forms part of the roll cage. The last harness used the standard mounts bolted to the rear strut brace using collars through the tubing and high tensile bolts.

Where the lap part of the harness utilises the standard mounts, ie captured nuts, high tensile bolts were used, as well as the mount for the crutch strap.

Also check the age of the harness, for Circuit racing harnesses are now lifed at only 5 years, ie 5 years after the date of manufacture you throw them away, whether they have been used or not. I'm not sure whether this requirement is in effect for sprint events and so on.

thanks for all the imput guys, I'm still thinking about how to do this. I'm curious about bolting the over shoulder strap to the rear bulkhead (above the tail lights or to the floor underneath) and running the strap thru an eyelet (using a B pillar mounting point from a retractable belt) bolted to the strut brace. is the rear bulkhead strong enough? Am i making this harder than I need to???