Front Spoiler Colour; body colour or black???

Toecutter

• Administrators

I have been side track for the last 3 weeks test driving 350Z's. I ended up buying a 2004 model with 15' date='000Km's on the clock from a dealer in South Australia and drove it back on the 17th. Hard to keep to the speed limit. At least I have a Zed to drive around in while the other is being worked on.

Warren[/quote']

Well done Warren what colour is it? You'll have to take me for a spin I've never been in a 350z :D .

Btw convertible or hardtop?

Hi Gav,

Its a hardtop or coupe. Officially its a 2004 Touring Coupe, automatic and it is red. Not many red ones around so a little unusual but looks fantastic (but then I am biased) and red is not a colour you can choose off the catalog anymore.

I did originally want a manual but hard to find in the Touring version. I drove a manual Track version but with 6 speed close ratio gearbox I was continually changing gear. Track suspension is way to stiff for around town.

So settled for an auto, with tiptronic manual.

No problem re a ride.

Warren

post-78-144023468998_thumb.jpg

Where / How are you getting the Fairlady Z badges made up?

I guess youd have to make them in plastic from a mould of the original ones? but then how do you get them chromed?

I've seen original ones on ebay, but not often.

In the flat space i'm going to have the Datsun rear badge on a angle, with the 240Z badge under it, but straight.

As for removing the over-riders. A tip I picked up somewhere is to get a coach bolt and polish up the head and bolt that in the hole to fill it. I've never seen it done so i dont know what it would look like.

Mr Camo,

Ash has got a set of steel fairladyZ badges he bought on e-bay from Japan quite some time ago. Before I left on holidays we discussed getting them made up in plastic. I beleive he's trying to make a set at the moment. If they look the part then I can get them chromed at a couple of places that make grills and instrumentation for cars etc but one step at a time. I'm back from holidays in 5 days so I'll update you with progress then. Ash did tell me if they come up ok he'll be making them to order so fingers crossed.

I'm sure I've seen the coach bolt idea done before just can't recall where. Thats a nice look too, leave the rubbers on and just take the overiders off. My front bumper is in 50/50 condition and thats one of the reasons I've left the over riders on for now.

I like your idea of the DATSUN on the flat spot of the rear fin. I assume you would'nt include a DATSUN badge on the hatch but instead on the flat spot!? Is there enough room on that flat spot for both the DATSUN badge and the 240Z badge?

Cheers

Sulio

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I think what would really finish the look of the car off would be the headlight covers with chrome strip and the bullet fender mirrors(ZG). That's my plan at least, good to see that Ash's mould of the 432 rear spoiler is one of the most accurate I've seen.

All the American versions have added bits or are 3 piece or curve wrong(too many cooks).

I'm going to get one of those bad boys from Ashley aswell. :D

yeah the mirrors sure finish off the look but not having them sure gives the car more of a stretched look, have u seen how much the mirrors on ebay are going for? i think after postage which the guy estimated at around $75US its cheaper to get them from yahoo japan

i think i read somewhere that the rear spoiler helps get rid of the fume smell when you have the windows down, is this true?

i'm not that big a fan of the headlight covers but i might end up going for them when i put my headlights together (just bought some bmw xenon projectors, i'm not sure how they are going to fit, i'd b cool to get the covers and another set of buckets and mold them in like z8 style), either way i can't wait to pick them up! anyone done a headlight relay upgrade? just wondering if the connectors are availible in aus

I've got headlight relay upgrades in my rangie, and also had in my alfa - used the NewEra relay blocks which are designed for it, they have a low and high beam circuit on the same relay, which are individually 30amp fused.

Rear spoiler could conceivably help with fumes, as it would alter the airflow/turbulence at the rear of the car, possibly helping to extract the fumes away from the hatch.

that looks very nice, i can't wait to see it in person

did you end up cutting the panels under the flares?

are you going to get the tail light panel sprayed in the same gloss black?

have you found any of those carbonfibre mirrors?

Hi Evan,

Have'nt had a chance to cut the the body yet so can't drive too hard in corners. I prefer the rear panel matt black. Have'nt found the carbon fibre mirrors but I want to get the black shiny ones instead. Not really a fan of the carbon fibre look, too many honda civics seem to be covered in it.

i think i read somewhere that the rear spoiler helps get rid of the fume smell when you have the windows down, is this true?

In the pics above the rear fin was just placed there for the pic. Just before I left I used Sikaflex to mount it so I have'nt really had a chacnce to drive the car properly but I never thought about the fume issue, very good point Evan, I see how it could affect it. Well theres one more rationalization added to the list for getting a rear fin! :wink:

I think what would really finish the look of the car off would be the headlight covers with chrome strip and the bullet fender mirrors(ZG). That's my plan at least, good to see that Ash's mould of the 432 rear spoiler is one of the most accurate I've seen.

All the American versions have added bits or are 3 piece or curve wrong(too many cooks).

I'm going to get one of those bad boys from Ashley aswell.

Yer I was umming and arring but does looking great and after Evans point about the fumes well thats just icing on the cake.

Thanks Dave, time to get into the new motor now but that will have to wait till we buy a new house as I just need more room. I've got an L28 sitting on an engine stand in the garage ready for some mild work on head and mild cam just to make it more fun on the road.

Warren, next flash logo would be nice to have a bunch of the members cars on it tehn we could all use it as a sig!

Cheers

Sulio