Zenile Posted March 13, 2018 Posted March 13, 2018 Hi. My 1976 Datsun 260Z coupe is missing the headlamp dip switch usually located at the rear of the turn signal switch assembly. The stalk is pulled back to operate the headlamp dipping switch located at the rear of the assembly. My dipping switch is missing completely. I would consider a complete assembly, and simply use the headlamp dip switch from it as my switch seems unusual insofar as the end of the indicator stalk has a "Pass" button to flash full beam lights. Any help would be truly appreciated Regards John email: john@autohub.co.nz tel: +64 21 928924 Quote
gilltech Posted March 13, 2018 Posted March 13, 2018 FWIW and from what I've seen with Zeds over many years, some cars seemed to have the 'pass' button on the stalk but not others, but I don't know if it's a year thing or a sales market thing. If none of the Z parts advertisers on NZ's TradeMe can help, then you could perhaps contact the various people advertising 260Z parts on Gumtree Australia, surely someone is bound to have a spare assembly. Quote
240ZR Posted March 20, 2018 Posted March 20, 2018 I might be able to help with this John, just have to find them as I've moved house in the last month or so. Quote
Zenile Posted March 20, 2018 Author Posted March 20, 2018 I would be eternally in your debt if you find it :-) My dip switch is totally missing from the rear of the indicator assembly. You can reach me privately at john@autohub.co.nz We are a car shipping company, based Japan , but offices in NZ, Aus, Singapore and UK. Much appreciated Johm 240ZR 1 Quote
gilltech Posted March 20, 2018 Posted March 20, 2018 It's that same stalk part that always wears out and gives trouble, wires come unsoldered, I've already long since replaced mine. All I can probably get hold of at present is a complete headlamp switch / turn indicator set from a late 260Z parts car, and it has the passing switch stalk. But it's far more than you need and it wouldn't be cheap as the owner won't split it up. Hopefully 240ZR can come up with a spare for you. Quote
Zenile Posted March 20, 2018 Author Posted March 20, 2018 Thanks. I might have to come back to you requesting a price for complete switch assy.. I have a car which can't be driven due a small poxy part missing. Frustrating. It's normally the indicator switch that fails, not the headlamp dip switch so I was hoping a switch might be lurking from a donor indicator assy. Thanks for your reply. Might talk again soon :-) Quote
gilltech Posted March 20, 2018 Posted March 20, 2018 Well actually the bad news is that the headlamp switches can also play up. From my experience and that of others I've heard, sometimes they might just need a good clean and polish of the contacts and all is well again. They don't have to tolerate as much use as the turn indicator gear. But also on mine the solder holding two of the wires on started to let go, not completely but came loose so as to intermittently break contact. No fun at night. I soon located the problem and with great care re-soldered them back into place controlling the heat with a heat sink so as to not cause any heat damage to the plastic parts. Something in the Zed faults department to be aware of anyway. Quote
Zenile Posted March 20, 2018 Author Posted March 20, 2018 I would be happy if I had a faulty switch to repair....but mine is missing completely. Hard place to start from but I'm hopeful something will turn up or I will have to manufacture something from the ground up. Thanks for getting back to me Quote
gilltech Posted March 20, 2018 Posted March 20, 2018 You'd think there would be some commonality of inner components with other Datsuns of that era such as 180/200B, 240K, 260C etc etc but I haven't spotted anything suitable, externally the switches all look to be individual designs. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.