Engine is dead - what should i do ?

Luni260z

Hi everyone,

My car was almost ready to be registered, but a short drive around the block ended in tragedy.

Let me start at the begining. Bear with me, please. There's a bit of a story to tell..

I once owned a 260z with standard engine, the only modication was the addition of SU carby's.

Sadly, some little punks kicked my car to death.

So I purchased a 2+2 with an auto gearbox, hoping to transport the manual over, and purchased an old skyline with a L26.Lumpy cams, new pistons, heaps of work done, basically all updated but with standard carbies (the perfect match for what i had :D horray i thought)

Sadly, tragegy struck again, the mechanic who i'd asked to swap over the parts, swapped only the engine, threw out my gearbox, and diff (especially unhappy over the diff, but that's another thread in itself). And thus i was left with a heavily worked engine completely unmatched to the auto gearbox.

So this is the engine that has just died. It never ran properly due to gearbox wanting to change gear just as engine was ready to give out a little power..  Engine was running terribly, turned it off after it started making horrible noises and noticed steam coming out of the block/head. Since turning it off, won't restart.

Now, I have a few options. I can repair the current engine, but will again have an engine that is not matched to the gearbox. I'm not fussed about a manual, but would be nice, sadly i no longer have the other car with the parts .. would probably need to get gearbox conversion or possibly new ratios/diff to get engine matched to gearbox. (just brainstorming here .. no idea if these options are even feasable)

Secondly, i can repair the engine that came with the 2+2 .. completely standard .. its sat there for 6yrs, so i'm guessing that will need a rebuild also, but then i could register it, and at least have a car to drive. Wouldn't go very fast , but then neither does the mismatched engine/gearbox combo ..

Or possibly i could combine parts from the two engines .. no idea. ..

Once registered, i'd then need to modify the car til i was happy.

third, i would love to put in a new engine. I was thinking the 1UZ-FE 4L auto V8. Would be happy to keep its standard auto gearbox, and keep entire thing standard and would be happy.  THis seems like the ideal solution to me.

Sadly, i have no idea what any of these options might cost, or who I might talk to.

I'm up in Sydney, near Five Dock if that helps.

WHat would people suggest ?

Oh, there is a forth option, start with new zed altogether.

Would appreaciate your thoughts. 

hmmm, lots of options. Telling by the way you are talking you wouldn't be up for doing it yourself?

If that assumption is true then an engine rebuild is going to cost you between $2,000 - $5,000 depending how serious you get.

An engine transplant isn't that difficult but don't forget all the extra bits and pieces.

drive shaft, exhaust, ECU, engineering. All done professionally you won't get any change out of $10,000+

There's a grub screw on the inside of the Modulator on Automatic transmissions that can be adjusted to effect when the Auto changes gears. It's where the vacuum is supplied from the manifold.

I don't have an auto but wow thats one of the best tips. Great bang for buck.

There's a grub screw on the inside .

Oooooh ... that sounds a little promising at least. Gotta be an improvement on what i had.

I'm definately looking for a new mechanic. that last one was my best friends father.

We are no longer friends.

Alright, thanks for the advice everyone.

Now I just need to track down someone who's qualified and good value for the engine rebuild.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

;D

It really depends what that includes. If is just the bare basics with no upgrades then it is a bit more than I would expect. Like I said I know a place up here that quoted me $2K for a basic rebuild.

But if you start adding extras like new cam, balancing etc it starts to head skyward.

I think $1800 is achievable but rather optimistic.

I agree most of that would be labour.

Here are some estimates (give or take) I put together assuming you could do most of the job yourself:

Part Expected Cost

Total 736.65

Rings             145

Conrod Bearings 37

Main Bearings 126.5

oil               40

oil filter               14

gasket set 183.12

Chain tensioner / Valve Guide 6

Water Pump 69

Valve springs 116

It really depends what that includes.

Rebuilding with my existing CAM. All new pistons, seals, bearings, etc, +engine balancing.

And they are going to also fit my new extractors once they arrive.

Thanks again everyone. Will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...