New-ish ACT member - busted at the Shannons Show

skidmark117

Howdy all,

Long time loiterer, first time poster.  Chris_240 mentioned running into me at the Shannon's Show back in March.

I have a burnt orange 1970 240z as my daily driver (pic below), which I've owned for about 3 years.  Original colour was red and the P-PO has done a couple of resprays.  Not a ‘bad’ job, but my goal is to strip it and redo the paint in 5 or so years.

The Zed bug bit me through the extended family.  I was in the UK for a couple of years drooling over some of the classics and wondering if it was time to foray into gaining some motor experience (I had very little).  I realised quickly that I wasn't going to be able to ship an E-type Jag home to work on, so I started looking around for an Aussie based option.  Coincidentally at this time, my brother in law bought two Zeds, selling one to my father in law.  I looked up the Zed and was pretty much sold on the idea immediately.

It took a year of looking around to find what I was after.  My car was an Ebay find from Victoria, and I took a risk and bought it based on photos and phone calls.  What a find.  The other pic below is the three cars owned by in-laws and myself.  Since then my father in law has laid his hands on an immaculate white 1973 that was completely stripped and redone about 5 years and 2 owners ago.

I've mostly been doing small cleanup bits on the car (panel seals, blower upgrade, rear speaker box, retractable seatbelt upgrade, headlight relays) over the past few years, helped greatly by this and the US-based Zcar.com forum.  Completed last week though, was a complete rebuild of the front suspension, including new bushings, ball joints, tie rods, Koni adjustable shocks and Lovell springs (and a general spray of black paint to make it all pretty).  The rear will be done, but not until I have some more home time set aside.  From my copious reading of forums and Blues Tech Tips, I know that one will have pig elements in it.

As for seeing other Zeds around, I swapped 'you're too cool' waves with a young fella in a red Zed outside the Convention Centre as we passed each other about 2 years ago, and i know there's a red 2+2 that parks near Kambah most days of the week.  I used to pass a white 2+2 with plate HOT260 quite regularly around Kingston, and before buying mine, used to drool over a grey Zed that would park regularly at Bunnings. I also had a carpark chat in Kingston about a year ago with the owner of a red Zed he'd bought with all new suspension (I got on my knees and looked).

Anyway, that’s about it for my introduction bio.  Thanks for being a source for such good advice up to now, and I look forward to taking a more active, less voyeuristic role in the site from now!

Regards to all,

Ian

post-920-144023524647_thumb.jpg

post-920-144023524657_thumb.jpg

Howdy Ian,

Another Canberra Zed coming out from the dust covers....glad to see!  ;D 

Looks like we will have to arrange another ACT meet shortly and hopefully you will see the other 8 zeds in Canberra....we know of anyway!

Simon

as per previous emails to your work...welcome again !

I find it amazing you live 4mins from my place and your father-in law is a few streets round the corner with an immaculate 240..  ::) cant wait to see all the zeds up close.

Howdy all,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dalee, chassis number is 131.  Engine stamp listed 10/70, though unfortunately the original engine no longer resides with the body.  I got a little information on it's history from the last 2 owners, but not much.

Yep, that's 4 Canberra Zeds from my extended gene pool.  It's not intended to be a 'sickness', but it might be a little bit... ;D

I have a bunch of mates who are all motorbike riders, and 3 years ago, I was about 95% of the way in justifying the purchase of one.  Then a mate was hit by a car from behind on Kings Avenue bridge and had one of his vertebrae destroyed, and was about 2cm away from never walking again.  The purchase of a 35 year old sports car as a hobby/2nd car was agreed on by wife almost immediately...!

Be good to catch up to eye off each other's vehicles.  I own one, yet am happy to continue looking at others...

Welcome mate.  Chris has been going on about you for ages now, so I feel as if I already know you :P joking

Can't wait to see your zed.  I will have my brakes sorted very soon, so I can come along as long as i;m not working.

cheers

Scott

• 1 month later...

Hey lads,

Seems I should start up a thread in the Member's Project section.  I'm still doing bits and pieces, with the major work of late being new exhaust system, and (big whoop) new tires.

Exhaust system is now the classic Zed 2.25" with a resonator and muffler.  Sounds quite barky and angry at revs, but the initial drone in the car nearly did my head in.  Not sure if it's possible for an exhaust system to 'settle in', but it doesn't feel as droney as it did.  Maybe I'm getting used to it.

After having my planned supply of BF Goodrich tires dry up, I've ended up with Federal Formoza FD1s all round.  195/65R14 and 215/65R14.  Amazing the difference some nice, pliable rubber makes instead of the crusty three-different-brands I had before.

I'll get working on that project thread... ;D

Skidmark117

• 1 year later...

Hey lads,

After laying low for a while, and with the Zed off the road while I focused on babies ???, pergolas, decks and landscaping :P, I plan to get the Zed back on the road for a 3 month period.  Self-set deadline is June.

I'm needing to sort a hole in the radiator, which I hope will push me to installing the overflow bottle sourced from MSA.  I also plan to replace the unoriginal dodgy seats, as I've had new foam and covers sitting around waiting for the job to be done for an embarrassingly long time.

Catcha,

Skidmark117