How to get into racing

MR260

Heaps.  With zeds you can generally only go in marque stuff, though a couple of the boys on here actually race so they would be good to ask too.  From what I have seen on the marque side of things, entry fees are high and then you have the building and maintenance to go on top, so a very casual approach is probly best till you can get sponsors on board and/or build the car to go faster.

But thats what I have seen, i havnt gotten into rcing yet (cos the fricken car has been off the road for nearly a year :( ).

Scott

To get into some sort of racing or Club Sprints with your car you need to join a CAMS Affliated Car Club around $100-. From there you need to purchase a CAMS Licence Level 2 for $80- odd. Then you can go on or attend any Club Sprint Days not just Nissan ones. Many Clubs welcome along cars of any make or model. Cost for a track day depends but is around $120- for the day. that generally gets you 4 to 4 outings onto the track with 3-4 hot laps.

then the cost of tyres, petrol, car problems and trying to better your times and going faster. $1,000-s. You get my drift. What state are you in?

Club sprints and hill climbs are the best ways to get a taste of motorsport.  The CAMS license required is cheap and entry and running costs are relatively low unless you bend/break something.  Kart racing is also a great way to get into motorsport as George pointed out but doesn't involve racing your Z :)

Proper circuit racing can get very expensive very quickly.  Myself and my dad do all the work on my car and I have many sponsors/friends that get me bits and pieces at cheap prices.  It still costs me around $1K to do each race meeting.............If nothing goes wrong.

As has been said, club sprints are generally the best - usually only a couple hundred max for the entry fees, and you generally get quite a few laps.  I know for a fact the Alfa Club of victoria runs quite a few meetings a year (Sandown, Philip Island, Winton and I think one or two others, plus usually a couple of events at the DECA compound), and quite often have a wide variety of 'associate' class entries.  Not sure whether NDSOC runs any events or not, the MG car club used to run a few hillclimbs (They currently have ownership of the Rob Roy hillclimb from memory).

id say join local car club find out what club level events are on in your area im a great fan of motorkhanas great for developing car control , club days at race track doing sprints , and hillclimbs are top fun not actual racing car to car but you compete against the clock

only cost are joining car club and cams licence plus entry fee on day usually around the $100 you will need fire extinguisher in car plus safe seat belts

here in tassie we have next level of 3 day tarmac rally involving all three of the above plus navigating over long weekend great fun and $625 entry

theres always drags if that float your boats about $50 licence plus $50 entry on day

mick

here in tassie we have next level of 3 day tarmac rally involving all three of the above plus navigating over long weekend great fun and $625 entry

Somebody else was telling me about this, sounds like heaps of fun.  Do you know what time of year it is?

Thanks Lurch.

Joel that being the case you could easily join the Nissan Datsun Sports Owners Club NDSOC and that should get you ready to get onto the Track if that's what your after. I am a member of this club although it's floundering a bit at the moment. If you need any more info let me know.