Considering Fibreglass Dashboard

eddii

Hi guys, i need some advice on fibreglass dashboards.

My dash needs reskinning but thought i might try and consider fibreglass ones.

I'm lookin at buying one from alfamotorsports but not sure how they would go in road cars.

I can see some positives (very light weight, cheaper than reskinned dash) and some negatives (no glovebox, need to drill holes and make brackets for gauges).

what do u guys think? is it worth it?

thanks in advance

Eddii

gee lurch .. where the hell you come up with that!! Ive got a fiberglass one in my ROAD car and no one said a thing .. road worthy guy nor the engineer ???? the dash is the last thing you need to worry about if it dislodges... worry about the thin ass doors that fold like warm butter or your steering column stabbing you in the head..! 

Hey eddii, long time no speak. Check out this link, have a look at tstewart's post halfway down the 2nd page then go back and have a look at the first page. I think tstewart's is the best result I have seen from this method. Basically I think its a matter of spraying the right distance away from the dash to get the best texture...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair&page=2

A few guys here have done something similar

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=1618.0

But, in my opinion, nothing looks better then a freshly skinned dash. Apparently its up to $700 at dashboard restorations here in Brisbane but I think it's worth it. I'm still going to have a go at this DIY method cause I want to make a custom center console eventually :)

Ps ill be heading back to Gladstone for the long weekend in June, I'll have to come around and have a look at your progress :)

I thought what Lurch said would make sense, so I called my dad who works for Queensland Fire and Rescue as they usually know this kind of stuff from accidents. Anyway, he wasn't aware of it being an issue and another guy who works with him who is also a big car guy said that the dash isn't part of a roadworhty checklist so it should be fine. Just my 2 cents...

As a side note, I remember finding out from the fire station that the frame for the WRX's cabin is so strong that the jaws of life will not cut through it and they had to inform the crew on how to cut it open. What's even more remarkable is that that model of wrx had been around for a while so in all those years there had never been a need to cut someone out. If I am ever in an accident I hope I'm in a subaru :)

As a side note, I remember finding out from the fire station that the frame for the WRX's cabin is so strong that the jaws of life will not cut through it and they had to inform the crew on how to cut it open. What's even more remarkable is that that model of wrx had been around for a while so in all those years there had never been a need to cut someone out. If I am ever in an accident I hope I'm in a subaru :)

Unless youre stuck in it  :P

haha very true, but i suppose if you are stuck in a subaru you are probably dead in another car ;)

anyways thats enough of a hijack.

Edii, I can't remember did you get a 260 in the end or was it a 240z? Cause I have a spare dash in my 2+2 parts car that I could have a practice on. Only problem is that I'm not in gladstone too often these days...

Hey Shaun, thanks for the link, that seems like a good idea. i might have a go at doing it myself then.

I have a 240z dash. It's not in great shape cause the previous owner had a go at repairing it, then stuck a piece of vinyl on top  :o to cover it up!!!

Dashboard restorations currently have one 240z dash in stock for $660 /exchange. They'll send me a pic tomorrow. only problem is that it'll cost me an extra $200 to ship to gladstone :( this will include my dash shipped down to brissy.

Another option is the suede finish with stichings, i'll probably get a quote from the local upholsterers to see if it'll be a cheaper option. while im there i'll get a quote to get the door cards done :)

Ps ill be heading back to Gladstone for the long weekend in June, I'll have to come around and have a look at your progress :)

sure thing, let me know when you're here. we might be a bit busy moving to our new house next month tho. but just txt me,  i'll make some time to catch up lol. 

Pretty much stripped the car, mounted it in rotiserie, fixed all the rusts underneat and the sills. stripped all the paint back to bare metal, etch primered, and primer filled. saw a few more imperfections in the panels once painted. so i'll get back into it later. I had to assemble the whole car together asap cause we had sold our old house last nov. bolted all the panels back together and installed the engine and g/box again so that i can transport the car as a whole. i would've been finished by now if we didn't move LOL!! oh well.

looks like i wont finish it anytime soon :(