Grandad
Members-
Posts
371 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Articles
Media Demo
S30z Register
Store
Everything posted by Grandad
-
These have got to be the best value for money electric fuel pumps available that suit Zeds, this one has not done much work and was working perfectly when removed. SOLD Free pick up, Post or e-go at purchasers expense. PM or phone John on 0411 289101
-
Thanks for your comments Simon, it is now SOLD
-
Sold pending payment
-
Hi All Anyone want to make an offer on this before it goes in the bin? It has to go! John
-
Unfortunately that's correct, I found Simons post first and replied then went to my pm to find Geoff ZED660 had messaged me 15 minutes earlier so I now found myself in the uncomfortable position of having one item effectively sold twice. I have seen this situation on other forums get ugly and descend into a bidding war and I'm not prepared to be party to that, I like to think that within the Zed community we are all friends. I feel for you Simon but as you know I have decided to go with the first message sent which I consider is the fair thing to do. There could be a little lesson here for us all, simply posting PM sent in the thread could save a lot of confusion. John
-
Sold pending payment.
-
This was powder coated as part of a rebuild but not used the end rubbers are missing. Local Perth pickup or can ship via e-go at purchasers expense. John PM or phone 0411 289101
-
Three core copper radiator is in good serviceable used condition with plenty of life left in it comes fitted with electric fan SOLD Will fit both manual and auto. Local Perth pickup or can ship via e-go at purchasers cost. John PM or phone 0411 289101
-
BMW harmonic balancer direct fit onto L series motor. This is in good sound condition and has served us well only replaced with a fluid type unit with the recent rebuild. Local pick up or can ship via e-go at buyers expense. This cost the previous owner a small fortune but I want it gone so it's yours for $50.00 John PM or phone 0411 289101
-
Hi All Time marches on and after a short but fabulous stay we've left Whittie's Ranch and spent a couple of days in the Big Apple which is definitely worth a visit in spite of max -1deg temps, at least the skies were clear. After fifteen and a half hours in the air we are currently mid way through an eight hour stopover at HK looking forward to another seven and a half hours in the air to get to Perth so the best part of 31 hours plus transfers. While I want to keep the travel log car centric there were a few thing we saw in Houston that are worth a mention, the first is NASA where one day is not nearly enough. You know what this is. We've all seen this on TV it put Man on the Moon but standing beside it gives a totally different perspective. We went down to Galveston which is the closest coastal town to Houston so people flock there in summer but the beaches are pretty crap, being on the Gulf of Mexico the Port is used to service oil rigs and there were a few in Port. They have a decommissioned drill rig that has been turned into a museum and having spent more time than he likes to think about on these things Whittie was able to give us a guided tour which was great, I can now see why Whittie avoids them where possible. Here,s' a street sign with a difference we found not far from Whittie's Ranch. The freeways here are a real experience with billboards and electric signs everywhere, some alerting people to look out for a vehicle the police are after, some showing the current Texas road toll 2871 and rising and one I spotted advertising Daiquiris to go!!! WTF!!! I kid you not, there was one at the freeway exit to Whittie's Ranch but sadly we didn't get to try it. This is not the one but it gives an idea of what they are like. Here's how they work. Cheers Dad
-
Hi Y'All We left Whittie's Ranch this morning and did the 40k freeway commute into Houston to see where Whittie works and have lunch with him which we did in an Uptown area known as Galleria, we had lunch at a rather nice Japanese fusion restaurant which actually was the best restaurant food I've had so far this trip. Whittie couldn't stay long so headed back to work and I got the privilege of escorting the ladies through the (Uptown, Oil Town) shopping mall which given my intolerance for shopping malls was surely going to be the low point of the trip, we saw all the expected suspects such as, Forever 21, Sacs 5th ave, Maceys, Bally, De Beers, TAG Heuer and a host of clothing shops and perfume stalls which really made it just another shopping mall. Until.....WTF??? WOW there must be a god, how could an agonizing crawl through a shopping mall ever possibly turn up this little piece of heaven, these things leave most cars gasping in there wake, here's a glimpse of our motoring future although at $88K US I won't have one any time soon. If you have a few minutes to kill, this is worth a look. http://www.teslamotors.com/models/walkthrough Bye Y'All
-
Hi retro Z and Y'All Thanks for picking that up, I'll put it down to a late night Seniors Moment When I was writing I was thinking about Mustang's six cylinder history and v6 Turbos in F1 so it just came out a V6, apologies for that I've amended the post, there is a NA V6 available here but it looks like it won't get to us which I don't think is a big problem, the turbo four performs really well as is in stock trim so once the tuners get hold of it it could become a really fun fire breather and unlike the Focus it's rear wheel drive, they are well priced over here but that doesn't mean a thing, I hope price doesn't become a deal breaker because from my brief encounter I consider it a fun car I would happily own. Bye Y'All
-
Hi Y'All After a truly memorable weekend we cruised back to Houston on Monday morning, it was a really comfortable ride as the big Dodge closed four cylinders down on cruise with no noticeable effect on performance but a significant increase in economy and seamlessly reengaged them on demand. The Challenger is by no means a super car but it does have more than enough HP for the daily freeway commute it can effortlessly break traction in a straight line and provide sideways action on demand. Here's where it resides at "Whitties Ranch". (everything in Texas is a ranch) The rear tyres having possibly done more rotations than the front were prematurely due for replacement and Whittie had the car booked in with a tyre dealer on Saturday morning so I went along for the ride, on the way there we passed a shopping center where some people appeared to be setting up an auto test course using painted white lines and witches hats so we decided to call in after the new tyres were fitted to find out what was going on and if it was an event we could possibly enter. Turned out to be a promotion for the new 2015 Ford Mustang where the public are invited to drive the new 310hp 2.3L Turbo four and passenger in the 500+hp 5L V8. It looks like Ford have put a bit of thought into the design here, the dash is symmetrical and there is plenty of room under the bonnet to change things from wrong to right side drive. This is the 4 cylinder Turbo. They weren't fully set up when we arrived so we hung around there and I got to talk to the boss man who turns out to be from Austin which is where we have just been and is married to a lady from Adelaide and he has just returned from a visit there which included time in the Barossa Valley and Southern Vales, as it happens I grew up in Adelaide and know those areas intimately so we became new best friends which was rather fortuitous because a requirement of the one lap drive was a current US drivers license which neither of us have but as a result of my new found friendship we got two laps, sadly with traction control engaged but even so we could feel that the car wanted to go. Whittie thinks that the 4 cylinder turbo is a cop out and that the Mustang is a V8 brand but I'm a turbo fan and I don't mind it at all, I hope it makes it to Aus. Here's some pics of the event, Another cool weekend. Bye Y'All
-
Hi Y'All We have had just the best Weekend topped off by Dan Ric taking third today. We got to the track early because Whittie wanted to try his hand at the F1 simulator of Circuit of the Americas but didn't want to spend hours in a queue so he was in the second group of the day and on a machine and track he's never used before came second behind a serious gamer which won him a second round so he switched to the gamers machine that the guy had set up and one his heat which gave him a shot in the large simulator and he finished just outside the top ten for the weekend so far and was tempted to line up and go again but buy then the line was over an hour long so left it at that but at least he felt that he had driven the circuit and as crazy as it sounds I was standing behind him and leaning into the corners on the screen. I guess we know everything's bigger in Texas and certainly some are but lots of thing are just different, here's a few things I spotted. Big money chilling in the car park. Big Circuit, that really is up with the best in the World. Big BBQs Big Dunnies and Big Mouthed Women. Is Mrs Mac responsible for this? At F1 time Monaco has has a harbor full of Yachts with tender boats but Austin has a camp ground full of Motor Homes (Road Going Yachts) with tender vehicles. These are lovely people but I really was taking the piss. When we took our seats for the support races the stand was barely half full so we went back up to the top and warmed some empty seats, eventually the ticket holders arrived so we decided to go up to the top disabled level and try our luck, we made ourselves at home and security didn't seem to mind but then once again the ticket holder turned up so we moved a few seats down the line where we stayed for the rest of the day, best seats is the house with clear view of 2/3 of the track and big screen. Here's some of what we could see. So we sat there and enjoyed a thrilling race with as good a result as we could reasonably expect. The organizers had been promoting an post race track walk so Whittie and I thought it would be pretty cool to walk the track but figured that if we tried to do it in race direction we probably wouldn't get past the pit straight so decided to do it backwards from were we were at turn 12, we joined the crowd heading for the track but when everyone turned left for pit straight we turned right, we felt just a little bit naughty but could see a couple of people ahead of us so continued but it didn't take long for the long arm of the law to catch up with us starting with the people in front. The good people ahead of us headed the warning and left then it was our turn and I figured our accent would keep us out of trouble and I suggested to the main guy that all we were doing was the advertised track walk and he said "we've been sent out to clear the track please don't kill the messenger" at which time I was about to drop one of my favorite one liners (ok Boss, I be good nigger) but fortunately I thought better of it and we waved them goodbye as we climbed over the armco into the marshal and emergency vehicle lane and continued on our way the Cops left thinking there job was done so with them out of sight at the next opening we reentered the track and continued our walk. Whittie was a bit concerned that someone else might come for us and I said what's the worst they can do, put us in a vehicle and take us back, he relaxed and we kept on walking. Turn 11 where braking starts a touch before the 50 meter marker and Dan Ric was back on the gas before the apex. From turn 11 through the esses heading back to turn one. Here we are at turn two heading up to turn one. Sadly all good things must come to an end. This was a good result and in case you're still in doubt, yes we had a lot of fun. Bye Y'All Dad
-
Hi All I know this is a bit off topic but 30 long exhausting hours after leaving Perth Mum and I finally slipped into Whittie's Dodge at Houston airport and tightened our seat belts for the final low level flight of our journey, once at Whittie's new home for the next 24 hours we attempted to sleep off the jet lag but at 6.00 am this morning it was time to get back into Whitties Bad Boy Dodge and head for Austin. The last time Whittie and I were together at this time of day we were on our way to Northam for the Round The Houses event earlier this year. Austin is about 2.5-3.00 hours drive from Houston we did it comfortably in 2.5 and found our accommodation quite easily then as arranged we left the car there and walked into town to catch a shuttle bus to the track then set about finding our seats in the stand at turn 15 just as the now comparatively hard to hear F1 cars hit the track for FP1, our seats were the last two together that were available when we booked and are about half way up the stand but the best F1 viewing is always top row so as the stand was only half full today that's were we went, most F1 spectators get to see between one and three corners at most tracks but this one has been designed to allow for more and here's some of what we could see. From the top of our stand there is clear view to the rear to turn one which is a sensational hairpin corner, here's a pic of some of the 35 strong Ferrari support race field. We all know this is a dangerous sport and the emergency services are always on standby but we found one we really weren't expecting. Because Friday is usually a quiet day on track and spectator numbers are low we decided to walk up to turn one to see what the view was like from there, here's what we saw on the way crossing the bridges at the turn straight after our stand where you,re not allowed to stop and take pics so have to do it on the fly. Once at turn one we couldn't quite believe what we could see, with clear views of the start/finish straight, the pits, turns one and two and panoramic views of much of the track, this has to be the best GA F1 viewing in the world After a full day at the track we headed back to town for few drinks and dinner before settling in for a good nights sleep in preparation for a big day tomorrow but wouldn't you know it, it just happens to be Halloween and Austin being a University town is by nature also a Party Town as we were about to find out. It was like the whole town got into character in a way I've certainly never seen before and it was good fun but the most amusing thing of all to me was sitting in a bar listening to a white guitar band doing sensational justice to some Hendrix music and I couldn't help thinking that we are in Red Neck KKK territory and what they might have wanted to do to Hendrix in his day. Cheers Dad
-
OK It's official. DADSON are gonna do AUSTUN Cheers Dad
-
I wasn't going to say that but they do train their kids young, here's an incident that impacted me on a couple of levels but gave me a good belly laugh that still resonates today. To set the scene, we displayed our cars as part of a club display out in the paddock which is usually the parking area for the Motorplex, it's a grassed area with bitumen access lanes, the displays were set up within a designated space on the grassed area, each club had to create a theme on which they would be judged, driving results would then be added to ultimately decide a winner. (our club took it out regularly) One busy morning I went walking around the one way paddock display to check out our competition and walking down one lane I spotted a couple of very young boys that looked to be about 10 years old holding a placard and some 5 meters further on were another couple of kids of about the same age also holding a placard, nothing surprising about that but here's what was on the placards. SHOW US YOUR TITS IF YOUR NOT GUNNA SHOW US WHY DID YOU BRING EM Cheers Dad
-
We've missed the boat on this one the best shot at getting into the Elite tent would have been this year but the car wasn't ready in time and while the car is still looking great the competition scarring it's carrying although minor will knock it out into the paddock and oblivion. Following our entry in this event a few years ago with the Zed and the Supra my Motorvation to enter again is less than zero, I came away from the event convinced that we were not welcome and our entry was only accepted to make up the numbers. As a result of comments both overheard and made directly to me by officials, fellow entrants and spectators I'm convinced there combined attitude is that this is a V8 show and if you're not V8 powered they'd prefer you don't enter, if your car was made outside the US or OZ they'd prefer you don't enter, if you car from Japan definitely don't enter but knowing all that if you still insist on thrusting your entry money at them they'll take it to make up the numbers but they'd prefer you don't enter. This is my lasting impression of this event, no doubt others will have a different view but I haven't been back and have no intention of doing so, I would rather take the car across the country and enter a NDSOC or similar event where I feel welcomed. Cheers. Dad
-
Hi PeterAllen Thanks for your feedback, sometimes I think I'm going on a bit too much and occasionally the thread goes off topic a bit but while I believe you and others are enjoying it and there remains a story to tell I'll keep telling it. Cheers Dad
-
Hi All I took the car to Tuss today the motor is out and the car's back home again, the motor should be ready to be refitted in about a week. When I got to Tuss's workshop I noticed the head sitting on his bench which I thought was odd because the engine builder will need it, I don't know exactly what has transpired between Tuss and the engine builder and Tuss isn't saying but I'm thinking Tuss has totally lost confidence in him because he said he will be stripping and rebuilding it himself so he knows it's right this time. Here's the head good to go. This is the plug with the tell tale lead patch that melts when the engine is seriously overheated, even though we lost coolant twice the fact that this remains intact shows that the motor didn't get dangerously hot. While the engine is out I'll be able to do a detail clean and remove all residual oil and coolant film. Tuss's mechanic was beaming when I collected the car he said I'd made his day being able to work on such a beautifully restored car, I know exactly how he feels. Home we go.
-
Hi All Tuss is down one staff member so couldn't fit the Zed in to remove the engine last week but hopefully it will be done this week, in the mean time I've got a bit more done on the old race wheels so now they're painted polished and lacquered and looking for a new home. Cheers Dad
-
That's sad news although not entirely unexpected. We ran all three FOSC Bathurst regularity events and with the car double entered we found them extremely competitor friendly, at the time of entering for 2008 I contacted Charles to see what our chances were of being accepted he said they could fill the grid from Sydney alone but that's not what they were after and welcomed interstate participation but not from inexperienced first timers we had to show our competition history including track times fortunately by then we had run Phillip Island which helped we also shipped the car over early to run at Oran Park so they could see us in action if they chose to. Initially we intended to only do it once but it was so good that we decided to keep going back for as long as FOSC would accept us and they had a ten year contract on the Easter date but the 2010 event almost didn't happen due to a court action Jellins (the Sprint Bathurst promoter) claiming FOSC were undervaluing the circuit, long live not for profit motorsport. Those of you who were there will remember that the 2010 event was extended by one day to accommodate a porkers event that we also entered to maximize track time unfortunately the porker people literally took over and the flavor of the event both in the pits and on track changed significantly from friendly fast to aggressive it appeared the porker guys were full on racing and the speed variation we thought was sufficiently dangerous that we packed up early and became spectators. I feel for you guys who haven't experienced Bathurst at full song but as an experience PI is not all that far behind and as others have said turn one at Eastern Creek is great fun. Hopefully regularity will return to the mountain at some future date.
-
Hi All I'm slowly making progress with the wheels and today lacquered and reassembled the first of them. Three to go. Cheers Dad
-
Hi All Over time we have collected various sets of wheels that we no longer need so the light weight three piece cob web wheels fitted with Toyo 888 tyres are looking for a new home but I've decided that because they're looking a bit tired I'll give them a birthday before we offer them for sale so first up I let the air out and removed the centers. The centers were fairly stone chipped so first up they got a coat of paint. I also had the wheel bolts re plaited. I removed the remnants of wheel weights then hand polished the inside with trusty old Brasso and removed any residue with prepsol. Next was removal of the old clear coat, it's interesting to note just how yellow it turns over time. With that done it was time to attack them with Brasso and my drill. Here's the polished rim alongside the next one to be done I just need to put a coat of clear on it then reassemble it. I've put the center in place to show how it will look when finished. Cheers Dad
-
Hi All I've done the rounds of three people I know who are expert engine builders and explained our situation to them all agree that the gasket issue should never have happened but the dizy drive fitted incorrectly was a simple mistake that's easy to make and fortunately simple to rectify, however the refaced rockers and colletts that were not skimmed to allow for reduction of clearance due to the amount of metal removed from the head and block were considered to be Zed specific issues that probably only someone with Zed experience would know about, I don't agree entirely with those views but I respect them. On the subject of possible engine damage and responsibility the consensus view was that it's possible there is no further damage but it is impossible to know without stripping the engine and checking everything and the engine builder should step up and do that. The engine builder has had the head for just over a week now doing tests and reported to Tuss today that it's straight and true in fact completely undamaged, at least that's one little bit of good news. I explained to Tuss that Whittie's pretty unhappy about it and wants the motor completely rebuilt with all new parts at no cost to us, I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation but I do understand his reasoning, I told Tuss about my research and feed back and said that because the engine condition is unknown the engine builder should at the very least strip it down and check it thoroughly, if he can demonstrate that there is no further damage then existing parts can be reused but any damaged components must be replaced, Tuss is on side with us and will advise the engine builder that the motor will be ready for him to collect next week. Tuss has mentioned insurance a couple of times so I get the impression the engine builder has cover so I'm hopeful of a good outcome but only time will tell. Cheers Dad
