e88 cylinder head on ebay

Hi,

My head gasket is leaking and I am keen on putting a better flowing head on my L24. I have found this head on ebay and am seeking advice from all the experts out there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-240K-280Z-E88-HEAD-/120751379184?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1d57d2f0#ht_538wt_930

I am concerned that it requires a thicker head gasket, is this an issue?

Also what is a E30 reground cam with asymetrical grind?

I am also concerned about corrosion in the water passage.

I would welcome any advice

Regards

Peter

Rust on the cam too...

I'd say move on and wait for something better. Also depends on what block, piston's you're running.

G

Hi Peter

Heads are usually described by their casting designation...typical Datsun L heads are E88, N42, P90. An E30 head came off a 2.0 litre engine, so the chambers are smaller and hence the comp ratio is higher, although valves are smaller. See the link below for applications for various L series heads.

http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/

Given this head has been milled even further that std, it will have an even higher CR, and hence the need for thicker head gaskets. I am not a fan of thick head gaskets if you can avoid it, and certainly running two is not ideal. My view: It's too much stuffing around for general road use...leave it to someone who is racing and wants to mess around with all the details required to make it work.

The E88 head is the most common for 240/260Z, and if you just put a freshened up one on your engine (even just fix up the one thats on your engine now), that's probably the way to go.

BTW: An asymetrical cam is a cam that is ground with a different shape on the opening flank compared with the closing flank. This is done to deal with the changing location that the cam contacts the rocker arm...you will note that the rocker arm has a hardened working face brazed onto it that is both curved and about 20mm long. As the cam moves across that face, it effectively changes the rocker ratio. The asymetric grind is there to provide the right opening profile at the valve, as well as provide stable valve train operation. All L series cams are asymetric, so don't get caught up with that as a marketing tool!

I run a bog stock A grind cam (std 240Z...you will find the grind stamped into the back of L series cams) in my turbo L28 and it makes stacks of power. Now you won't get the same result out of a normally aspirated engine, but if you just run the E88 head with a little milled off it to straighten it and lift the CR a touch, you'll have enough performance for road going fun...ported heads, big cams and triple carbs are a slippery slope, and not necessary unless you are chasing performance you don't really need for fun on the street.

That said, my latest engine now owes me $12k, so if you like spending money for unnecessary fun, go for it!

Cheers

Jamo

Jamo,

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I suspected this head was not really suited for what I wanted and your explanation has confirmed that. I will look for a better more standard e88 head.

Regards

Peter