Want to sell my car.... to part out or not to part out?

dave_hl

Not sure if this should be in the for sale section but i've posted it here coz i'm after a little advice.

So i own an '80 280zx with a good few mods, however it was broken into 2-3 months back and the non-stock wolf ECU was stolen hence the thing doesn't go. I wanted to sell the car but obviously now don't want to spend hundred and hundreds and hundreds replacing and retuning a new ecu before selling... I am considering parting the car out but unsure how much i would get for engine/diff etc.

The engine is an L28 restroked to 83mm making it 3060cc done with an LD28 crank. Has been overbored to 88.5mm, connecting rods lightened, polished and balanced, and are fitted with high compression Tomoe pistons, which together with work on the head result in compression of 10.5:1. Some work has been done to both the cylinder head and the overhead camshaft. The cam has been reground to scuderia motorsport specs by Brian Samson's Motor Improvements organisation. The main timing sprocket is a Nismo part also. Through Nismo modified double valve springs the cam operates 46.5mm competition inlet valves and 36.5mm exhaust valves. These seal on Stellite seats. The porting has been altered considerably, as has the combustion chamber shape. Also has a Nismo competition head gasket. This was all done in 1988 by Scuderia Motor Sports and the car has done about 62,000 k's since then. I don't think the fuel system is stock either but i think that may have been altered or something before i got the car. I know a bit about engines but not stacks so some of that is quoted from a magazine article from 1988 which the car featured in. I had it tuned about a year ago but couldn't get a max rear wheel kw due to my stupid wheel spacers getting the wobbles but they pushed it hard enough to get 112rwkw with it still pulling they reckoned it would have got up at 120-130 rear wheel KW if i remember correct... This was running on the stupid Wolf 2d Ecu that was in the car... i think the engine might be capable of more than this, not sure, the ecu was never set up as well as i think it could have been. With the said the engine runs brilliantly, sounds incredibly amazing hearing it sing as you take it up in the revvs. (i should also add it has an excedy heavy duty clutch on a lightened flywheel with a stock 5spd box)

The Diff is a nismo LSD. Works well.

What sort of price do you guys think I could realistically get for the engine and for the diff?

Thanks for your help.

what would you be happy with? give me a few weeks to save and i'd love it for my 79 280 :D+some parts out of your z if you do end up stripping it. shame some knob broke into it  :-\

not sure, i don't really know what it's worth, i know car guys spend big bucks on engines and it would cost a bit to build something similar but don't wanna sell it unless i can accumlatively get the same or more for the parts then i could the car as a whole.

What a bugger, totally sucks for you then  >:(

Just chuck some carbies on it then and sell it as a whole.

yeah it is rather annoying to say the least. I just had that thought today of chucking carbies on it, but i can't imagine that would be all that cheap? what sort of price and how hard would it be to do that?

• 1 month later...