Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am hoping to get my car out for a sprint in the next month or two and need some tow hooks.

Last event I entered, i blew my clutch and had to be towed.  I don't have a tow hook so the guys towing did the best they could by hooking it around the bumper which resulted in a bent front bumper.

 

Can anyone either: recommend a bolt on tow hook which will clear a front spoiler

or alternatively recommend someone to make one

or should I have a crack at making one myself?

 

I probably should get one for the rear as well, so the same questions apply?

 

cheers

Bruce

Posted

You can make tow hooks pretty easy.

 

Mine are as follows:

 

Front - flat 5mm bar bolts onto chassis rail at front, a couple of handy bolts already there and then passes through the brake duct of the MKII front spoiler I run. It is about 60mm wide and has a 40mm hole in it. It's stong enough to have pulled me out of a few sandtraps over the years.

 

Rear - Flat 5mm bar that is bent at 90 degrees. Bolts into the rear bar mount on the right hand side using the exeisting bumper bolts, again 40mm hole and is strong enough to pull the car from sandtraps.

 

They were painted red with cheap spray can and meet CAMS requirements.

Posted

places like revolution racegear sell tow hooks, and I think they also come up on ebay a bit too....  Or do what PZG302 said, just make sure the hole is big enough to fit a shackle or whatever they are using through it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...