rear end sound

kalium

I'm trying to get my car registered but the guy won't give me a safety certificate because of the sound coming from the rear end.

It seems to be in time with the spinning of the wheels, and sounds more like it's coming from the rear left. It's kind of a 'thud' sound which obviously gets worst the faster you go.

I've had the car for almost 10 years and it's always made this sound. I have replaced the following,

- moustache bar bushing

- diff

- wheel bearing (onthe side it seemed to be coming from)

- balanced tailshaft

I haven't replaced the halfshafts but I have taken them out and they _feel_ fine, no play in the U joints.

Logically I guess the only thing left is the half shafts. Anything else anyone can think of ?

Cheers

Ray

• Moderators

Have you tried jacking up just the rear and spinning the wheel by hand to see if anything is contacting while its spinning? Does it do it all the time or under certain conditions; ie turning, braking etc..?

Hi Mate :)

I'm from queensland. No, not quite registered, almost there though :)

When I tried to get the roadworthy, he took it for a drive, came back and jacked it up, checked to see if the wheel was loose (which I have done several times...), and just said that it's got a bad sound that needs to be fixed. He has no idea what it is (in fact it's the first time he has seen a Z in his life., so I don't expect him to be an expert on them).

Cheers

Hmmmmmm

Could be many things

A couple of thoughts

As you say it only happens when you have full weight on the wheels

Drop your diff oil, pull off the cover and have a look, check the oil for metal and the condition of the drive pinion, ring gear, side gear etc

Idealy you should do both wheel bearings not just one, check them again and make sure they are installed correctly and have plenty of grease, check the rear pinion bearing, if the bearings have not had grease pushed into them by hand before installation they can dry out, check your calipers are secure

Check your drive shaft both ends, yolk and uni, check the tension on the bolts @ R2oo diff  49 - 59 NM   R180 diff 31 - 42 NM

See how you go

Cheers

:)

a mate had similar problem with his zed

he changed the moustache bar bushes, then thought it might have been the diff backlash as it happened on acceleration and deceleration and still the noise was there

problem ended when he installed new bolts that mount the moustache bar to the body - i think the bolts can get flogged out with wear ?

Well now I'm convinced it's the OTHER wheel bearing. It's not obviously bad, but if I take the drum off, strap the wheel on and give it a few big spins I can start to hear the sound. It's nowhere near as loud as when I am in the car, but it definately seems to have the same 'rhythm'. I can imagine how under load it could sound much louder. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to get anywhere near the bearing (can't get the peened nut off,nor do I have a slide hammer), so I will have to take it into someone.

Maybe it just needs a regreasing ?

• 3 months later...

Yeah so for anyone who wants to know, turns out it was the wheel bearing.

It was uncanny just how hard it was to hear it with the car up on stands, but when the car was on the road, it sounded like a wheel was going to come off.

So if there is a bad sound coming from that area, and everything seems fine, there's still a chance it could be the wheel bearing....

a guy with a KPG10 skyline just had this exact same thing happen to him. pulled apart the entire rear end and overlooked the wheel bearings. HAd the exact same symptoms stated here too.

We can all take note and learn from this thread :)