Confirming Z Numbers

Hammer

Hi guys

I want to know if a particular 240z that I'm interested in buying is as original as the current owner say it is.  It's been partially restored and would like to know if the the transmission that is on the current car is as it was when it left the factory.

Currently it has a 5sp manual transmission, but based on discussions I've had with other Z lovers, has given me cause for concern that this could have been converted from an Auto to manual.

Is there an organisation that I can contact and confirm this for me if I provide them both the chassis and engine number?

Thanks again guys.

good luck - there is nothing on the 240z chassis code that will tell you if it left the factory as an auto or a manual or what ratio diff it has. This did not come in until the 280zx range in the Zed chassis numbers. The engine number should match the engine number on the ID plate in the engine bay which again will match the chassis number to this same ID plate.