Overfenders legal?

Azon

• Administrators

Good question in all honesty I'm not sure if the ZG flares or any overfenders for the Zed are legal. I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be a problem unless you were using spacers which technically arn't legal from my understanding. I believe it is said that a wheel must bolt directly to the hub.

I guess any modification to the wheel arch area should technically be approved by an engineer.

I was also curious about the S30 style fender mirrors, however it seems that a few early zeds came into the country with the fender mirrors and I believe it could pass as legal.

The Vicroads website is pretty good when it comes to finding this information have a dig around and see what you can come up with. :D

I don't believe there is a problem here.... The 'hot' toranas had bolted on flares as standard, and many many 4wds run aftermarket flares (myself included) without issue (or at least I've never heard of anyone being defected for them). As far as I can see, there is no difference between the plastic flare things fitted to many softroaders and the flares we use on zeds. They are a smooth shape, so it can't really be said that they are a danger to pedestrians.....

• 2 weeks later...

I think the main issuse here is mentioned in the last post.

If they were offered as standard or an option by the manufacturer, they are allowed. Thats why you can put flares on your 4 cyl LH torana, or even swap in a V8 without any problems, because the V8 was offered in the same chassis.

The overfenders were offered as an option, but I dont know if they were available in Australia as an option, which might be the sticking point with the cops if they decide they want to stop you and argue the point.

You could get a permit for them, then they cant do anything about them.