Wandering Steering?

PeterAllen

The fronts are 6" with zero off-set.

I've crudely checked the bumpsteer (resting a sheet of wood on the floor with the top edge leaning against the tyre at wheel centre). There in bugger all change through 30mm of bump but there is however, about 3 degrees toe out through 30mm of droop.

Assuming the raised centre portion of the lane is not as steep as the outer raised areas, I'm thinking that as I attempt to steer out of the ruts the outer wheel experiences bump and side resistance from the raised portion of the road rutting, the other wheel is experiencing droop and toe-out - thus both want to steer the car away from the intended direction, i.e. out of the rut. Once at the top of the raised portion of the road surface the suspension levels and the resistance quickly disappears.

Too much thinking???

3 degrees on 30mm droop is a fair bit and most probably is causing you issues.

If you have a 2 post hoist it is quite easy to do accurate bump steer measurements.

With the car on the hoist, Take the front wheel off and bolt on a spare rim and preferably a flat piece of MDF/plywood/sheetmetal to the face of the rim using g clamps. Jack the front suspension to normal ride height using jack under lca.

Put a long straight edge along the hoist arms and a few mm of the rim/wood sheet

Jack the front suspension up and down and measure the difference in the distance from the straight edge to the wood/rim on the front/rear of the rim.

You may have to remove the spring to get the bump measurements as the car will most probably rise off the hoist at some point.

Compare the measurements front to rear to see the bump steer.

Its a good time to make adjustments to the outer tie rod position and see the effects