RAP260 Posted March 28, 2015 Posted March 28, 2015 Hi All , I'm trying to identify the manifold gasket I removed today. It has a metal core sandwiched between graphite? layers. May seem like a silly question , but it worked. I'm looking at online retailers , but it isn't clear as to the exact composition of most. If anyone has any suggestions or advice regarding what they use , it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Quote
RAP260 Posted March 31, 2015 Author Posted March 31, 2015 Two names pop up on other sites , as preferred gaskets. Fel-pro ?? ( which I believe are single layer paper? based ? ) Victor Reinz ?? I've had bad experiences with rubbish gaskets in the past , and I'm not interested in wasting my money on rubbish. Of course I am also aware that most gaskets are only as good as the person fitting them Looking for feedback from those who have experience. Quote
44014 Posted March 31, 2015 Posted March 31, 2015 Those gaskets with like a cheqer plate thing piece of aluminium between sheets of graphite are rubbish! You want the single laye graphite ones. Bursons can get them repco can not. Quote
RAP260 Posted March 31, 2015 Author Posted March 31, 2015 Ok....I've just been out and had a good look at the gasket and around the exhaust ports. Your spot on , even though they ( the workshop ) only fitted it twelve months ago, it is showing signs of leakage. Which I hadn't noticed before. Thank you very much for your feedback. This is just the info I was looking for. Cheers, Rob Quote
44014 Posted March 31, 2015 Posted March 31, 2015 Make sure you retighten the manifold bolts after the first drive when the engine reached full operating tempreture. Quote
RAP260 Posted March 31, 2015 Author Posted March 31, 2015 Absolutely Going to be buying a new intake manifold , so I also need to source the best way to ensure the intake and exhaust flanges are the same thickness. Was thinking an exhaust fitter may be able to help me ? , or maybe an engineering business ? The last two I've had appear to have been done with an angle grinder :-\ Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.