DatsunDave Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 Hi, I'm new to Datsun's and this is my first post on this forum so G'day everybody I've recently picked up an unregistered 1979 Datsun 280ZX The aim is to restore this beauty back to its former glory (plus maybe a few tasteful mods!) Today I did a compression test on the engine and I'm afraid to say it's not good news! Cylinder 1 dry: 105 psi wet: 180 psi Cylinder 2 dry: 105 psi wet: 170 psi Cylinder 3 dry: 100 psi wet: 190 psi Cylinder 4 dry: 100 psi wet: 190 psi Cylinder 5 dry: 95 psi wet: 180 psi Cylinder 6 dry: 95 psi wet: 180 psi So, what are my options? What's a rebuild going to cost compared to say finding another motor with life left in it? Is there a Datsun guru anywhere in Perth, WA? Where's the best place to buy parts? Any and all advise welcome. Cheers in advance Quote
pauly_adams Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 it looks more like worn rings but I would do your valve clearance first, it can effect the compression quite a bit Quote
boyblunda Posted February 17, 2015 Posted February 17, 2015 If you are looking for a highly respected Datsun guru in Perth, then my personal recommendation is Martin Falconer. He has done a lot with both S30 and 280ZX cars, has a heap of parts, and does quality work. Martin Falconer Tuneright 0417953329 Quote
DatsunDave Posted February 18, 2015 Author Posted February 18, 2015 Cheers Pauly, I'm thinking it's more the rings with such big difference between the wet and dry tests, surely the valve clearance would give low figure on both tests? Cheers Boyblunda, I've give Martin a call Quote
pauly_adams Posted February 18, 2015 Posted February 18, 2015 I would be thinking that also, but it wont hurt to check Quote
oldmates260z Posted February 18, 2015 Posted February 18, 2015 Just wondering if the first test was done after it had been sitting for years. I would get it running and then do it again and see if it is still low. Does anyone have any idea what you would normally get on a compressor test? If I get a chance I will try mine on the weekend. Quote
DatsunDave Posted February 18, 2015 Author Posted February 18, 2015 Just wondering if the first test was done after it had been sitting for years. I would get it running and then do it again and see if it is still low. Does anyone have any idea what you would normally get on a compressor test? If I get a chance I will try mine on the weekend. The car had been sat for awhile but I had run it up to temperature a few times before running the test. As for normal, a dry test 120psi would be as low as you'd really want to go 180psi dry would have been great Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.