Clutch confusion ...blown?

dave_hl

yeah the balancing issue was something i thought about too. But i didn't end up getting it balanced anyway, the bloke at the clutch shop who machine my flywheel said unless you're revving up at 12k then dont worry about it, its not worth it.

Yeah if i had of drilled a hole in my lovely crank i'd be kicking myself in the head and then throwin the towel in and calling lube mobile i think.

• Moderators

If I were you I would repair/replace that broken bolt! It will put everything out of balance. All those bolts are usually M8 high tensile bolts; pretty hard to break but here we are! You don't want to find youreslf putting it all together then find a sharp vibration at 6000 rpm then having to strip it all apart again for one measly bolt..Theres the right way and the quick way ;)

thats not the answer i was after, zedman. I'm tempted to do it the quick way though still. whats 1 bolt in comparison to roughly 25-30pounds of weight. But i suppose when its spinning that fast it doesn't take much to throw it out of wack, and then i could be doing crank bearings i guess...?

• Moderators

Best example I can think of is a car wheel + tyre. When they are balancing the wheel and tyre, the weights they use are small but have a huge influence even at a slow rpm. Its not worth the hassle just to save a few hours of extra work. Might end up costing way more in $$$ and time Didn't mean to spoil the moment...

thats not the answer i was after, zedman. I'm tempted to do it the quick way though still. whats 1 bolt in comparison to roughly 25-30pounds of weight. But i suppose when its spinning that fast it doesn't take much to throw it out of wack, and then i could be doing crank bearings i guess...?

It will be alright doing it the quick way. Only the one bolt. Your clutch and flywheel could be thrown out of wack by that much anyway if not balanced rightor if you forget to release the key when starting and chip a tooth on the ring gear etc...

Also if your clutch doesn't wear evenly.

Should be ok, its just the one bolt........

nah, if you think it might screw it up then i might take it apart, might not take long, i might be able to save the hole if i take the clutch/fly off and put it in a drill press, probably worth it.

thanks for the input guys. i'll let you know how i go.

Hi Dave,

Take Zedmans advice and replace the broken bolt or you could be in for major expense if the pressure plate comes adrift. In fact replace all of the bolts. If you over stressed one bolt than the others may be as well. Buy a tension wrench and do the job properly. A tension wrench should always be used and manufacturers recommendations adhered to unless you are a backyard cowboy. It's you life and you passengers that you are playing with if you do botchy jobs. That's my 2 cents. Have a nice day. David.

got a new hole put in today, not where the old one was though! right next to it, but i've roughly calculated that i've lost about 4-5g of weight from the old hole and having to put a new hole next to the one in the pressure plate, so i put it on with 4g washer, hopefully will suffice.

I'm putting the gearbox back on right now, i've got it all the way except for the last 15mm, no matter how much wiggeling and pushing i can't get it flush!  any tips anyone???

cheers.

• Moderators

Make sure nothing is in the way, and it helps if you put the trans in 1st and with a drive shaft "dummy" in the back, turn it back and forth while you try and push it home. Is the clutch disc in the centre? Theres quite a few things to make sure are aligned when you are having fun installing a gearbox...Without being there its harder!

i got it!

you can call me, the magic man. or the magician. either is fine.

Just kept working it and got it flush eventually bolted it in and its going nowhere fast. A fair workout though! ill put all the other bits and pieces back together after work tomorrow and then hopefully its a smooth drive. i'm lookin forward to feeling how the fresh clutch grabs.

Car is on the road, everything works perfectly. no unusual noises to vibrations so i guess it went together fine.. just gotta put a gasket or seal of some sort in the exhaust join I unbolted in the process, though it sounds pretty dam untamed with exhaust leaking out just after the extractors

I look like an L plater learning to drive at the moment; i'm not used to a clutch which will grab and not let you be sloppy when taking off.

thanks for all the tips and help lads, its quite satisfying to successfully rip the car apart, fix it and put it back together on your own.