Home plating kit

mossy

Anyone here tried one of the nickel or zinc home plating kits, I'm thinking about getting one for the convenience of doing parts when you want and not having to worry about taking 100's of nuts and bolts to a plater and wondering where they go when you get them back.

Yeah I've got one. They work pretty well but you have to be able to clean the nuts or what ever you're plating properly or it won't work. I have sandblasted parts, cleaned them, then straight into the plating solution. Providing you've got the equipment to clean stuff properly then it will work well.

Yup I have one too. Just be aware you need an area to keep the kit away from absolutely everything. I started storing it in my shed.....instant surface rust on everything near it...Now I just leave it all outside.

I agree with the cleaning comments. I use dishwashing detergent, paint stripper, degreaser and a wire buff. The parts must be absolutely clear of paint, dirt and grease. You can't even touch the parts with your hand after cleaning or they need cleaning again.