MSA Adjustable Strut Braces - Pull towers in or push towers apart??

Roberto

I spent over 45mins searching the whole net without a definite answer.

The instructions that came with it said to adjust it to apply a moderate amount of tension with the bar (rear).  It doesn't specify in which direction though?  ie pushing apart or pulling together. 

Does anyone know for sure?  I have sent an email to MSA but not gotten a reply as yet.  If i go neutral then the bar is loose due to the flexible joint setup.  Appreciate any info.  Cheers

Dunno if this is right but it made sense to me, I adjusted it out, so pushing the towers apart, but I didn't put much tension on it, as I think they are designed to stop the towers going in either direction when cornering. Basically it just joins them together....

As long as the tension is fairly even front compared to rear.

As far as my limited knowledge goes, having more tension on the front will induce some understeer, is it has less flex than theh rear, and vice versa.

that said, they are not supposed to be used as a means to control under/oversteer, and setting them evenly allows the bits that ARE supposed to adjust handling to work correctly.

Mine are adjusted t push out slightly as well.

I got the following email reply from MSA. 

Roberto,

Thank you for your email.  You will want to set up the strut bar with the tension going out.  When strut towers flex during heavy cornering, they flex in toward each other.  The outbound tension helps to fully remove this flexing under load.

Garrett

Motorsport Auto

1139 West Collins Avenue

Orange, CA 92867

(800)633-6331

Hope this helps for everyone.  Thanks for input guys.

Wtf? The terminology in this response is horrible:

You will want to set up the strut bar with the tension going out.

So the strut brace will be in compression, not tension. This will at least keep the geometry of the two strut towers consistent, requiring both towers to deflect.

edit - FWIW I don't think there is much difference either way, as long as you are preventing the struts from deflecting independently of one another.