5 speed gearbox options

djc2004

Probably something that is a bit left field for most here, but I'll ask anyway. the V8Z has a GM TH 350 3 speed auto box mated to the chev, and as it's not an overdrive box (and it's automatic), i want to change it but I'm having problems finding a suitable 5 speed that will take the hp. So far HybridZ say most septics use a 6 speed (from a holden) but it's not a box I'm in love with having driven a manual Monaro. Also they're expensive here.

The Supra box is a better price and is a common fit but the longest life I know of was 5,000k behind a similar motor to mine. If I could find a turbo supra box - that would be strong enough but they're pretty rare. A 5 speed Ford box (T5) is another contender but again the strength of the box is questionable - a mate of a mate is building an S30/351/T5 for hillclimbing and feels it's the weakest link for him. (i'm not hillclimbing though...)

I see there's a VL Commodore Turbo 5 Speed box currently on ebay which is factory fit for the RB30 Turbo engine, but again is it strong enough? Stewart wilkins said 300Z TT box would be strong enough but no one's mated it to a SBC chev yet. Castlemaine rod shop was going to try one but no news about that is available. they say do the supra box and treat it gently but whats the point?

should I go with the T5? are there any other suggestions???

Have you driven a Ford T56? They are supposedly the bees knees. I drove one and it shifted just fine. Redline in 3rd and slammed it into 1st just to test the synchros, not an issue. :D

The supra uses a getrag does it not? Much of a muchness with the R34 GTR box, I think one of those would set you back just as much as a T56.

Dave