Not Starting

Natez

Hey, this isn't the datsun, but the corona, but a overall car related thing that can happen to any car...

k

the starter is clicking, but the motor isn't turning....

sometimes its fine then 3/5 times starting the motor it doesn't start and 2/5 times the starter just click but not turning the motor, nor turning the starter motor....

the car starts when, jump started, or after it doesn't start and i manually turn the motor over then start the car via key

new battery, reco starter, all wires checked and cleaned... nothing is on... no voltage drop when car is off, and when car is on sits at 14.5v, omhs between battery and starter motor is 0.034ohms so its not the wires,

My theory is that the pinion on the starter is jaming with the teeth on the flywheel, and the car has done 285k on the original flywheel so id say its a little old, and might be warped, or just worn and doesn't bite and turn... if you know what i mean....

any other theories

Does it just click once, or multiple times?

If its 'machine gunning' thats usually a flat battery or crook earth connection. If it clicks once, then the solenoid is throwing correctly, but the starter is not engaging - my alfa used to do that, the fix was to hold the key to the crank position and tap the starter motor body with something (i had a wheel brace behind the seat for this purpose). Would always do it on a rainy day too....

I don't think its really possible for the pinion on the starter to jam against the flywheel, because you'd hear it making horrible noises - there is a lot of torque in a starter motor (try one day putting your car in gear and cranking it, it will drive along quite happily on the starter - until the battery goes flat!). If its jammed in such a way that the pinion gear is not actually being driven (not sure of the exact design of that starter, may or may not be possible) the starter will still spin. If the teeth on the ringgear (flywheel) are worn, same again - starter would still spin.

It really sounds like there is a flat spot on the armatures of the starter, I'd send it back to get it checked again. One thing which could support this is 'when it doesn't start, I manually turn the motor and then it will start'. That suggests the pinion gear is throwing, and then when you turn the motor, it turns the starter over too, to a better part of the armature. It would be a bit odd for the starter to throw the gear and then not turn though, unless the flat spot on the starter is pretty big.

I'd first double check battery electrolyte level (also check for cloudiness), and the voltage of the battery at rest, then recheck your starter motor earth lead at both ends, and also the battery earth lead.

If that all checks out fine, maybe try pull the starter out, hook jumper leads up from a battery to the respective posts (carefully, of course). Mark with a whiteout pen the end of the pinion shaft at one point, then face that mark upwards. Hold the starter motor (putting your foot on it works well), and clip a normal wire (ie. 4mm) to the positive of the battery your using. Touch the wire to the small terminal (exciter wire) of the solenoid, and it should spin up. Repeat, but each time turn the white mark a fraction more around. If there is a large flat spot there, you should find it this way.

If that fails, maybe still get the starter rechecked, because it sounds like either a voltage supply problem, or a fault in the starter. I can't think of a problem with the ringgear that would cause the starter to completely stop turning. The odd thing is it starts when jumped - that really suggests a problem with the battery or the earth - although it could just be the increase in voltage allows the armature enough power to get moving.

sounds like what my pug was doing, when the starter was on the go...

as natez says, if giving the starter a whack temporarily fixes it take the car to a sparky (or a friend who can fix a starter) or just get a new one.

p.s. mine was quite funny, got to stage where had metal tube in passenger seat that I'd grab out at uni or anywhere and whack the starter before heading off. got a lot of stares (my pug is 1969 brown 404). bit of a PITA

anyway, good luck

huw

Here's my 2c worth.

I think we all agree there is a high resistance somewhere. You get enough current to draw the solenoid in but not enough to turn the starter, but when you jump it, it spins, and you have changed everything.

If everthing mentioned above fails it has to be wiring and or connections.

Check you battery terminals, the connection between the battery posts and the connector and the wires to the connectors. Maybe when you put the jumper leads on you bridge the dodgy connection.

Try and use your jumper leads to bypass the connectors and wiring ie When it is not starting you could use your jumper lead to connect directly from the battery post to the solenoid and if thay makes no difference use your jumper lead to earth the battery.

Warren