Intro and project discussion

discern

Hey guys, this is my first post here after taking agessss to find a decent Z forum. My names Michael and im from vic. My mate and I have been planning a project car for a while and we've pretty much narrowed it down to a 240z or 260z that we're after.

Just looking for some info and opinions from some more experienced z owners from the site. I currently own a SR20DET powered 180 but I don't exactly know a heap about the older z's...I'm just fixated by the shape and engine options :o Even though I don't know the exact differences between the 2 cars :(

Basically, we're looking at spending up to about 2k for a 240 or 260 that would be in need to possibly a new motor and body repairs or either. We're looking to work on it ourselves and freshen up the interior totally and get the exterior looking mint with a home respray etc etc. Not too sure about engines as to what we could be looking for but hopefully this can get off the ground in the new few months.

Any opinions and/or info or links to info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

cheers,

Michael-

yo welcome...

great you will be looking at getting out of a S13, i had a silvia sr20det and floged the shit out of it, now im doing what you are thinking of doing,

you are either going to be extremely lucky to find a Z that is in half decent condition for 2k, but just because i couldn't find one doesn't mean you won't

Im still undecided about engine options as right now im concentrating on getting the body fixed and sprayed and get the car on the road, so i can actaully remember how it is to drive a Z,

but my engine options are

either Rb25de non turbo, work it and hopefully get around 140-150rwkw

or, rb25det, or rb20det, matters on money wise as they have a big differance in front cut prices

or i'll be getting a L28, and working the shit outa that...

what kinda budget are you looking at here, these are 30year old cars, and need everything to be replaced, or reworked, especially when you want to put more power down the drivetrain...

hey mate...well itll pretty much be a project car between a mate and myself. for the initial car I guess it isn't a huge problem what condition. we just want to be able to do most of the work in a garage if possible :)

the 180 will still be kept as its my ongoing project (for 2 yrs so far) hahaha.

How much did you pick up your Z for and what kinda condt was it in?

Oh yeah also...what's the diff between the 240 and 260 models? they both appearl almost identical except for the motors ? *confused noob*

240 and 260 2 seaters are very similar. The 260z 2 seater I think is a better car to modify cause they are usually a bit cheaper than a 240 and they have a stiffer chassis (longer frame rails etc). They have different tail lights and interiour and dash are different aswell. Also there is the 260z 2+2 which has a longer back section and are not as sort after as the 2 seater (and not as pretty I think). You can tell the 2+2 by the sort of hump above the rear quter windows.

I personally would go for a 260z 2 seater and put in a lexus v8 or rb26det with some 17or 18 wheels etc etc

Ash

Welcome to the site :)

I was looknig for a car about a year ago. Every time I found one cheap, by the time I had made contact with the seller, it was already sold and I was going through all the car ads online that I could find everyday.

So my tip when looking for a cheapy is to put your life into. Nothing else can take your attention away from getting the car ;)

I finally found a '73 240Z. Prolly paid more than what I should have, but it was in pretty good nick. But I'm still stripping it back to metal for the rebuild ;). I'm going to be keeping the car pretty original, so haven't really considered options for the engine. I think if I did anything, it would be with the old L series engines. Also, my dad and I are doing most of the work on the car (prolly get the interior done though).

Also, a good way to tell the difference between a 2+2 and a 2 seater is that the rear quater window is squarish for a 2+2 and triangular for a 2 seater.

Good luck with your search and I hope that you find something sonner rather than later ;)

yeah, another way to tell if it's a 2+2 is by the back seats, lol

if you're after a serious project you're probably best tracking down a 2 seater....the 2+2's are cheaper and come up for sale alot more often

personally i went to tasmania to buy my 260 (2+2)...the back seats do come in handy...and i can stand driving the SECOND sexiest car on the road...hehehe

just keep looking and one will come up...although 2k is a little low, as these cars are getting rare...also any for that price probably have major rust issues which will cost you in the future

the problem you face is finding one with bad mechanicals (as you;re going to swap anyway) but good body. unfortunately it's the body that goes first, while the engine lasts forever....

anyway...good luck with the search...have you driven a z yet? do that first and it will be all the motivation you need....

i bought my project for 2500, was a rolling shell with all parts not on the car...

the best year to modify a Z for is the 74 260z, like mine,

they are older so better resale, have better rust protection from factory, stronger chassis, and your not wrecking a classic 240z either,... so its the best of both worlds

Hi guys,

My names Cam! im from Melbournes South East.

I have been looking everywhere for this site and finally found it!

So many guys here with the coolest looking Zeds anywhere.

Anywayz, during my uni days i used to get around in a 260Z with an L28 Turbo donk....great fun for getting it sideways :twisted:

Now ive got a little baby boy an bought the wifey a new territory so i guess its time for myself to get a play thing.

Im definetly after a 260Z 2+2 and nothing else....the back seats gotta hold a baby seat 8)

i am going to leave the body stock except with 17s or 18s on all fours!

The engine will either house a RB26TT or maybe if it'll fit an 350Z donk.

i already ride a twin turbo subaru so i need the power still....but just to the rear wheels muahhh haa haa ha hhaaaaaaa!

hopefully i'll catch up with u boys!

Oh! ps. If anybody knows of any 260Z for sale...please get in contact with me. Thnx guys!

Check ebay.

"Project cars" come up there some times

There were 3 on there recently. Seach for 240z or 260z and check the completed listings box and you'll see what sort of Z 2 grand will get you. (if these links dont work - might need to be logged in)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DATO-240Z_W0QQitemZ4579846745QQcategoryZ102220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DATO-240Z_W0QQitemZ4579846002QQcategoryZ102220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Datsun-260z_W0QQitemZ4576943244QQcategoryZ102220QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know of a really great 260z for sale - not by me, so I have no personal stake in the matter. Problem is, it's HIGHLY original and would be a shame to waste with an engine swap.

Still, PM me if interested..

Gareth