Brake Suggestions for 260Z

Hi guys,

Hope I'm posting this in the right section.  :)

I've been reading the brake section of the forum and there is lots of great suggestions here. I just wanted some member feedback on what decision I should make. I just purchased a 260Z with a 280Z motor. I will be getting rid of that motor in about 4 months when we drop a SR20DET in it. The current brakes on my 260Z are pretty much gone and needs replacement badly. Is it a good idea to just go ahead and replace the rotors and brake pads OR would it be more wise to go ahead and do a conversion to Disc brakes all around?  :-\

Cheers

Simple answer, you can never have enough brakes.  You will gain more time on a track having better braking than acceleration.  Since you are going SR its even more advised for safety.  Though when it comes to rear brakes, drums technically brake better, but are not as efficient as rotors for heat.

I woul say, go all out, dont skimp or you may not live to regret it.

(the stock brakes arent bad, but read my first line :D)

Thanks. For a temporary setup, I'm going to get performance slotted rotors and performance brake pads for the front and performance brake pads for the rear as well. I'll also get braided brake lines and better brake fluid. I gotta make a few phone calls this week to confirm that these parts are available or fit the 260Z. Hopefully this will be good setup for a little while and once the SR20DET goes in, then we'll re-visit the brakes again and look at our options.

Personally I have Hilux 4 pot solid version callipers with DBA slotted disks, front and am installing Maxima single pot callipers with crossdrilled rotors, rear plus stainless braided lines all round and a 280ZX master cylinder.  I would love to have bigger again, but ill see how this goes for a while.

180sx (sr20det) vented front rotor with late model hilux calipers on front and r31 solid on rear for my big hp L series car

180sx vented rotor with rx7 (series 4 i think) caliper (and here is the real secret) Hawk blue/black pads front and r32 skyline solid rotors with rx7 rear on rear also with hawk pads for my RB25det racecar (may have to go bigger in the future but never had brake fade with my l series with same HP!)

the second option requires lots of mods to put the calipers on but the first option only requires a little bit of grinding, cutting and welding

Ash

I thought my brother would be able to install the brakes at home but we were missing a few tools so he has to take it to his friends shop. He has the keys to the shop.  ;)

Braided brake lines have been ordered and will be here shortly.

post-657-144023476819_thumb.jpg

post-657-144023476824_thumb.jpg

post-657-14402347683_thumb.jpg