Adjustable camber/castor on the top

thehelix112

• Administrators

Not sure but can't you make the lower control arms adjustable in order to change camber that way?

Would be easier than cutting up the strut towers?

I need/want to be able to adjust camber/castor at the track. Unless you guys have a wheel alignment machine you care to loan me?

Who makes those bush kits warren? I've seen that noltec do an adjustable one for the rear.. ?

Dave

• Administrators

Yeah Noltec do make one for the back.

You don't need a machine to do a wheel alignment. You just need string :twisted: .

As Costa has shown me you can do a wheel alignment with string however you really need 2 people. He said they used to prepare the Ferrari's that way when he was working for John Bowe :lol: .

If you want to have adjustable castor on your front wheels, what I intend to do is set up an adjustable castor rod - IE. Cut a piece out of it, and have like a tie rod kind of setup there. Land Rover Discovery Series 2 and Range Rover HSE (95 - 2001) have a male to female threaded piece (alloy) about 5 cm long in the drag link, which is used to adjust the front wheel toe in/out. Once you first set your castor up properly, you would only need to mark it then adjust the same amount of turns on either side.

I am currently trying to work out the best way to adapt this for use in this situation - and also maybe for an adjustable rear strut brace, so that I don't have to spend $200 on the whiteline one.

As far as camber goes, I'm thinking about it, but haven't had any revolutions yet.... Unless you could modify the mounting point for the lower control arm, in such a way it can be slid towards or away from the centre of the car.....

Changing the position of the strut-top is a much neater solution than adjusting it at the bottom. Changing it at the top doesn't affect anything else, where as at the bottom affects just about everything.

So noone has done this? Or even seen it done?

Dave

hey dave

Im looking at converting to full S13/R32 coil over suspension at the front, using some bits and peices, and custom tie rods, but its happening a slow process, as the car will be painted before any of that starts to get custom made etc.. but ive test fitted and it looks like it will work but with custom tie rods, and adjustable tension rods and not sure what control arm just yet, but most likely be from another nissan, or just a adjustable one.

trying to get the proper dimensions for the actaul front subframe of a R32 to see what can fit etc, but most likely will be using stock crossmember, not sure if anyone has looked at using a R32 front end, as they are really cheap these days, also S series or R series rearnends will fit into S30s, will only some custom stuff, not sure if a victorian engineer will pass it, but in queensland they did.

but i have seen struts tops on a 260z that was club reged, im sure you can get strut tops and adapt it to your struts,

if you are on performance forums, (www.performanceforums.com) you can get in contact with user "lambs" im 86% sure his was the car that i saw, down in melbourne, not sure of his complete suspension setup, but it was alot of custom work at home kind of stuff,

The only method I have seen for an adjustment at the top is to drill extra holes in the strut tower on the car chassis, so you would have a few different positions with which to insert the strut into the car; or a step further is a completely modifed strut tower in the car.

Regarding adjustable camber via the control arm, Gav's method is by far the smartest way I know. I went the easy option and have the adjustable control arm bush that Warren referred to. It has an Offset 19mm Hole in it which provides the movement.

It makes the ride even stiffer due the fact that it has no rubber in the mount, rather a hard plastic substance, I think it is called Delron?

post-95-144023467736_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Administrators

I just found this last night and I think it's great.

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/EMIPlates.html

Not cutting things up... 8)

He's also got these http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/240StrutKit.html

Costly maybe he can do discount for a kit and a group buy :).

Gavin pokes Sulio in the ribs

probably different struts than the Tokico's to suit a standard 240z though.