Help - front valance/tyre rub

dat240z

I'm so close to getting the zed back on the road. Before the resto I ran rota Rb 17x7.5 235/45/17 with an aftermarket airdam + coils. No probs. I've since reverted to the stock valance with bre spook but have now got the issue of only being able to half lock before rubbing bad...

Would 16s with a + offset help? I've gone through the search but it's a tad confusing. The airdam gives more room so I understand 17s are fine, but what are you guys using stock valances running up front and are there any issues?

May be on the lookout for a set of 16 x 7/8s.

Thanks

Because of where the wheel pivots to turn the steering, the further out it sits (wider wheel, bigger offset ect) the more pronounced the problem will be.

trim the guard, use a smaller offset or narrower wheel or completely redesign the front steering geometry.

iirc, there was a very good thread on hybridz dealing with this?

Ah ok, so a - offset would be better??? I thought 16x8 + 4 was best from my research.

Also with coils, does that give more clearance than stock springs??

The backspace to the strut will be determined by your suspension, eg, coil overs will allow more rim/tyre

The front face of the wheel will be dictated by how much room you have before it hits the guard and whether you want to trim it.

The overall backspace of the wheel will be a combination of those 2 previous measurements.

It is only that one small area that it rubs,

Mine does it too, but i didnt have much of an issue trimming the airdam slightly.

Edit, Any chance of widening the valance and wheel arch slightly for clearance? Maybe you can pull it out a bit?

Yeah mate, its just on the wheel arch valance continuation hitting almost dead centre of the tyre. Roughly 1/2 lock.

I dont mind trimming the valance a tad, but dont want to change the style/look of it also. Aftermarket front airdams have much more clearance as they dont tuck back under the car.

Yeah mate, its just on the wheel arch valance continuation hitting almost dead centre of the tyre. Roughly 1/2 lock.

I dont mind trimming the valance a tad, but dont want to change the style/look of it also. Aftermarket front airdams have much more clearance as they dont tuck back under the car.

It's hardly noticeable if done right.  e.g. I believe the car on the right in the picture has had the valance trimmed IIRC.

http://wazregister.com/gallery/2014%20Z%20Day/images/DSC03694.JPG

Nice one Cammo,  yeah the red z still retains its style/look. Im thinking this is the best/cheapest/fastest option for the time being until I can save for some Wats

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - 205/40/17 on the front using 17x7.5 will clear and not foul on anything retaining the stock valance and BRE spoiler. I believe this is the closest and max that should be used when running 17s. Im also on coils.

Previously running 235/45/17. By changing to a 205/40/17 I saved just over 3cm in width and almost 1.5cm in height.