280ZX Auto to manual conversion

matto

Hi got an 82 280zx converted from auto to manual by PO. 

Starts ok so inhibitor wires are bridged but reverse lights not working.  Have 4 wires left from original AT harness - does anyone recall what colour are the Reverse lights.  Wiring diagram suggests blue and blue with white trace but it appears that the bridged wires are black and the blue with white check. Other wires left appear to be black and blue and green?? 

Anyone remember the correct wires etc.

if its the same as a s30 you need to hook up the reverse wires to the sensor on the gear box!!

Ben

That would be what he is trying to do, I'd say...

Hi got an 82 280zx converted from auto to manual by PO. 

Starts ok so inhibitor wires are bridged but reverse lights not working.  Have 4 wires left from original AT harness - does anyone recall what colour are the Reverse lights.  Wiring diagram suggests blue and blue with white trace but it appears that the bridged wires are black and the blue with white check. Other wires left appear to be black and blue and green?? 

Anyone remember the correct wires etc.

This should really be a new post, as this how-to was written for a 240/260.... Perhaps Lurch or steve could move this part elsewhere?

However, assuming you have checked for power at the lights themselves, and eliminated blown globes/fuses etc, what colours does the wiring diagram give for the inhibitor switch part of it?

I would be tempted to disconnect the two bridged wires.  Test both for power (with ignition turned on obviously).  I think you'll probably find the blue/white wire has power, and the black doesn't.  Test the blue wire for power, and if it doesn't have any (but the blue/white did previously), touch the blue/white to the blue wire to see if your reverse lights operate. 

If they do, chuck those two on the reverse switch, and mark the black wire you disconnected.  Check the remaining wires for power (only 3 colours listed, 2 black wires I'm guessing?).  My instinct says the green wire is the most likely suspect, but it's also possible that both sides of the inhibitor switch are black wires.....

My guess on what has happened, is that the PO has gotten hold of the 'earth' side of the inhibitor switch (the black), but instead of feeding it power from the correct source, he has fed it from the power for the reverse lights....

Thanks to with advice on this. Yes the blue and black wires should not have been connected.  Blue and Blue with white tracer = reverse lights.  Black and Brown (colour a bit vague) are the auto inhibitor - connect these and plug in the others (B Bw)  to the MT Reverse Switch and all is good.  anyone know what the other pair is for ??

thanks again

Thanks to with advice on this. Yes the blue and black wires should not have been connected.  Blue and Blue with white tracer = reverse lights.  Black and Brown (colour a bit vague) are the auto inhibitor - connect these and plug in the others (B Bw)  to the MT Reverse Switch and all is good.  anyone know what the other pair is for ??

thanks again

Good to hear you got it working.  Not the foggiest idea what the other two wires are for off the top of my head.  Following them on the wiring diagram would likely tell you if you could be bothered.