Auto Problems?

zedevan

This isn?t zed related but thought someone here might be able to help out, my girlfriends (parents) car (1987 Toyota Cressida) seems to have lost all torque, particularly when it hasn?t warmed up.

When the car is turned on, in neutral it revs fine, when put into drive it doesn?t even have the power to go up an extremely small incline (I?m talking one so small that I could push the car up by myself faster), and if the car is on a slightly steeper hill it now rolls backwards, where previously the car would go forward (faster than it now does on a small incline mentioned above) on its own accord, or atleast stay still.

Also, while going up a large hill at 80km/h at around 4000rpm it has now completely dropped off to under 20km/h a couple of times, and it wont change down gears or anything. After the car has been running for at least 10mins it can creep up the small slopes and eventually starts running ok, but it?s never how it used to be and hardly has any torque at all

She is not wanting to spend anymore money on this car as it really has to much wrong with it, goes through petrol way to fast, and is way to big for what she needs, just it would be handy if it could keep on going for a bit longer while she looks for another car. So am wondering if this is possibly the timing of the engine etc, or if you would suspect it?s the gearbox? And suggestions that could possibly help it run better?

thanks -Evan

Have you checked the fluid level in the auto?

I had a an old XB that would leak fluid and I knew to top it up when it took a while for pressure to build up in the transmission to be able to move off, also going through a roundabout it would lose all drive as the fluid drained from the torque convertor and I had to wait until it filled again and the pressure returned to a normal level.

thanks for the suggestion, i haven't checked or done anything, since i didn't really have any idea of what to do, but the level of the fluid seems to be correct when its both cold and hot, so ohwell, the hunt for a new car for her is on, until then she can wait for it to warm up hehe

*edited so it makes sense :shock:

Is the fluid black and/or smell burnt? If so, that would point to burnt clutch packs etc, which could be pretty major. If its not, it may need a service (filter change and band adjustment, if it has adjustments).

An auto service should not cost very much to do, as there isn't a lot of work involved, and may make quite a difference. May be worth a try...

the fluid was still red (apparently thats what its ment to be?)

her parents generally get the car serviced but they no longer use it, and the last time my gf picked it up the mechanic suggest she buy another car as the whole thing will die sometime. its been hit in the back twice now aswell as many other small things things, like while changing the alternator in it i found a fair few bolts were missing on one side of the cars susspension...