Steering advice

Pigpen

??? I am hoping someone may be able to let me know if there are any mods required to the steering column if you whack a V8 in.

I am throwing a v6 into my 260 and the only issue i can foresee is the angle of the steering shaft. I thought that this is probably the same for a v8 as well.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge?? ???

the one in my windsor V8 240z is unmodified,but it has custom extractors that bolt around it(2 piece)

the VG30DET in a 260z i had seemed to be unmodified as well from memory,it ran std exhaust manifolds but custom mounts that sat the engine back towards the firewall

i suppose it depends on what motor you are putting in

just curious why are you going the V6 route,the RB6 is a proven conversion that works well

Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of the balance the V6 will give. The mock-ups that I have seen have the entire engine sitting rear of the struts.

On top of that a VG30DETT half cut will only cost around $3K vs $4k (ish) for an RB26 etc.

Most of all ... it is something a little different  8)  I can only assume that this is because it is a tight fit for an often under rated motor.

(ps - this isnt my one ... yet)

post-778-144023480565_thumb.jpg

i'll give you it's a little unusual and they are a good motor,however there is a reason they aren't a popular conversion....

very tight fit with poor accessability for maintenance,aftermarket parts not as cheap or available once you deviate from standard,$ per hp probably better off with an RB25DET or RB30ET,resale value people probably prefer the RB route(put it this way ,i sold a complete running,licensed 2+2 with a VG30DET with programmable ECU and 5 speed for $3000 :'()

anyhow good luck with the venture and keep us posted

a few pics i took before i sold it

cheers

paul

VG30DET007.jpg

VG30DET006.jpg

VG30DET005.jpg

VG30DET004.jpg

VG30DET003.jpg

VG30DET002.jpg

VG30DET001.jpg