Modified Z in Tasmania....how hard

24OZ

Hi fellas,

probably moving to Tasmania in a year or so

question is how strict are the licensing rules over there,i contacted DOTAR and they sent me a list of requirements that looked daunting

i would consider taking both my 240Z's-RB30ET and 302 Windsor

the V8 one was regod in WA since 1984,i bought it and there were no modifications other than the transplant,i have since installed ventilated discs and a bigger master cylinder(madness to think of increasing go without whoa)

the RB30ET one has ventilated discs up front and discs on the rear,otherwise no additional mods

neither car has needed engineering permits over here

anyone in tassie been through the process of installing a different engine....how hard was it??

cheers

paul

Hi Paul.  I haven't got round to getting rego on mine yet but from what I can gather Tassie is the most relaxed of any state.  As long as it's done properly with a brake upgrade, etc (like yours is by the sound of it) then there shouldn't be any problems.  You will need an engineers certificate but I think most the engineers down here are pretty good.

Let me know if you do move down.  It'll be great to have a couple more Z's in the state!

I would imagine you should be able to get an engineers certificate pretty easy down in Tassie. $600- + I reckon.

On another note we are heading down to Tassie in Feb'08 if either of you are interested in a week long drive on those great roads. About 10 of us going down. Let me know if you are interested. Cheers (sorry to chime in there but I thought it might be relevent to Tassie)  ;)

From what I've heard, most the guys that can do engineers certificates down here are pretty cheap.  Where in tas are you moving to Paul

My car isn't registered so unfortunately that counts me out for the Targa tour.  Are you doing a day at Baskerville ro Symmons this time?  I might come along to that if you are.

hi I live in tassie so i can tell you straight from the great southern state

you find tassie pretty relaxed compared to other states got my nissan v8 approved years ago no great problem just had to explain what i was doing and show brake and suspension upgrades to suit .Guy i raced was running rb30 turbo from commodore in a 240z it was plated and engineered though was a few years ago so i reckon the rb30 would be fine

on my new V8 motor got approval in principle no problem same format 4 pages to fill in with details not even asking what hp new motor makes my new motor bigger capicity than your 302 so i reckon you get it approved ok

Dont need to worry about dotar down here and if your car already has engineers plate on it i believe you can have it register here

have to get approval from engineer been quoted $440 to $500 for engineer and plate guy i know doing same engine conversion in nsw has had to prepare a 50 page document and needs engineer on top

let me know if you need any help with engineer in tassie big al at perth (near launceston that is)is the man to use .Another good thing we have in tassie is special interest rego which gives you rego for half price for special interest cars (which is mainly over 30 years over or special race or rally cars) but you can only drive them 52 days a year also reduces insurance fair bit too

craig are you coming for sure this year was pretty keen on your proposed trip febuary this year but didnt happen would be keen to join you guys next year

Mick

hey guys

thanks for the replies

will be moving over in a year or so,bought a house on a couple of acres as well as a 100ac ex apple orchard.......great value for money in tasmania......one perth house =3 tassie properties ::)

heartening news about the licensing

my 302 Z was licensed in WA in 1984,didn't need any engineering back then :o,i have however at least upgraded the brakes since buying it!!

i am moving to the huonville valley area(about an hour south of hobart)....quite a way from lonnie,anyone down that way that can do the engineering certificate?

now i have a real dilemma on my hands-----which Z do i take with me ???

was going to convert both my WA cars to autos as i am in the city but may leave the one i take to tasmania as a manual now,much more fun on those twisty open roads

cheers

paul

hi paul tough choice but id rather see another v8 zed in tassie so the 302 has my vote below is listed engineers in southern tasmania should be able to help u im up northwest coast 3hr drive from hobart so dont know any of them

SOUTH

Stephen Caplice

Fogarty Autos

156 Argyle Street

HOBART TAS 7000

Ph: 6234 8868

Geoff Davis

TAFE

Campbell Street

HOBART TAS 7000

Ph: 6233 7361

Ron Murray

37 Elliott Road

GLENORCHY TAS 7010

Ph: 6272 7910

Danny T Barrett

PO Box 207

SANDY BAY  TAS  7006

Ph: 0407 531 119

hope one of them can help u good luck mick

I am always keen to see another V8 Zed on the road. So that one has my vote as well Paul. Keep it a manual as not many lights down there so pretty easy driving.

Mick we are definately heading down to Tassie in early Feb'08. Got a few Zeds, GTR's and twin trubo 350Z coming down. PM me or send me your private email address and I will send you the itinery. See if you can get a week off as we will be down there for a few days.  :-)

i am moving to the huonville valley area(about an hour south of hobart)

haha, I live in the Huon Valley!  Now I'm racking my brain trying to work out which ex-orchard you've brought...........

Definately leave your car as a manual.  There's a few big hills between Huonville & Hobart.

Stephen Caplice would probably be the best bet for an engineer in the south.  His brother runs Motorsports Tas so if you say you intend on doing some club days or hill climbs he's supposed to be pretty good.

Another one I've heard good reports about in the South is Mick Dungee (I think that's how you spell it)

I think he's based at Margate.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mick,

I am retired in Malaysia and looking to do a V8 swap

At this point I am really looking to get all the proper info to decide which direction to go : 350 or LS1 or else....

Could you tell me what is the availability and price for rebuild 350 or Ls1...?

Also I certainly would appreciate talking with some guys that have done the conversion and learn how to bypass the problems

As you can see any assistance and guidance will be very welcomed

Cheers,  Frank

tastyworld88@gmail.com