mx5 seats in a 280zx

280zxjim

Hi All

I am a new owner of a 280zx.

I bought a pair of mx5 seats to put in the car as the current seats are shot.

I was hoping that the rails would line up - but they didnt!

The distance between the bolt holes on the rails (width from on rail to the next) was 770mm on 280zx seat and 730mm on the mx5 seat. So I am 40mm out.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right dirtction - I figured i have two options:

1. Create a bracket with wholes 20mm apart, that go on each side of the mx5 seat, so i can attach the 280zx rails to it.

2. Attach the 280zx rails to the current bolt hole width and then tap new holes in the car body

Any recommendations?

post-7343-144023728927_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I am a new owner of a 280zx.

I bought a pair of mx5 seats to put in the car as the current seats are shot.

I was hoping that the rails would line up - but they didnt!

The distance between the bolt holes on the rails (width from on rail to the next) was 770mm on 280zx seat and 730mm on the mx5 seat. So I am 40mm out.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right dirtction - I figured i have two options:

1. Create a bracket with wholes 20mm apart, that go on each side of the mx5 seat, so i can attach the 280zx rails to it.

2. Attach the 280zx rails to the current bolt hole width and then tap new holes in the car body

Any recommendations?

Get sone flat steel and drill holes so you can bolt the plates to the datsun rails, that is what I did with sone autotechnika seats once.

Hi All

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to get the passanger seat in today. It took a few hours. angle grinder and some steel, but we got it to fit. If anyone is looking at doing the same conversion (mx5 seats in 280zx), post on here and ill put more details of how we did it.

• 3 months later...

Hey Brodie

I ended up scraping the mx5 idea and went with original seats.

I found a set of front and rear sears, blue with grey velour. I taped up all the velour then sprayed the blue vinyl with black vinyl spray - duplicolour matt black. The end result was great.

The mx5 seats would fit with some major modification to the seat rails, but they didn't quite sit properly and they were a little high, so your head hit the roof.

I would look at getting good stock replacement ones - mine cost $150 for front and rear. You can also purchase vinyl cover kits for $300ish

Ok mate thanks for the reply, i came across some mx5 seats in good condition for 120 bucks not long ago and couldn't pass them up! Maybe sitting up higher wont be so bad as im not the tallest bloke around haha

Ill have a go see what happens, if it doesn't work im sure i can pass the seats on for more cash