Advice wanted on N42/N42 L28 Block and Head Rebuild

Brenden

Hi everyone,

I am about to make some decisions about my rebuild but i would be keen on some feedback/insight prior to final decision. I have read most of the content on here about various blocks, and  head combos, for's and against's but not this exact combo.

My motor is in good nic, its dome about 120k and never been apart all factory. Has dished pistons and ive done a compression test and the are all between 115 and 118 which is standard for this spec motor I believe. 

Im on a limited budget for this so I wont be going all out. Currently the head is at the machine shop and they will firstly check its condition and provided its serviceable they will then ask for instructions and the block is in the shed waiting for me to do something with it.

I already have;

Tripple OER 45's

HM Headers with 2.5 inch system

Lightened flywheel from Godzilla

It has electronic fuel pump, new leads ect

I have read  a lot of the content here and most of it says to steer clear of shaving the head, i dont want to be shimming cam towers, or having promlems with timing chain klenghts and so on.  if I'm correct the preferred way to increase the compression is to put some flat tops in? The bores are in good condition with not a lot of carbon build up at the top. so i aim to give them a hone. 

So this is what im thinking

Flat tops, rings and bearings - I want tu use the standard rods so I need Some pistons that will suit factory bores and rods - Where can i get these?

Machine shop will deck the head to make sure its straight and send the cam to Clive's cam, they want me to tell them what i want done to it at clives - Suggestions please

Scortcher distributor and new coil from Performance Ignition Services? 

ITG Filter

I have spoken with Les Collins and once its complete and running it will go down to him to be tuned.

This will be a weekend car, I will dive it pretty hard so i would like something that will perform pretty strongly.

Feedback and guidance will be appreciated.

Cheers Brenden

Edited by Brenden