Jump to content

Leaderboard


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 07/29/2020 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    Hi All, Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tim. I am no professional mechanic or anything of the like, only just like to get my hands dirty and dabble in some home DIY projects I bought my Datsun 260z 2+2 September last year and have been slowly working at getting her back on the road. By looking at the papers it came with, the last time it was registered was in 2010 in VIC. The car was rust proofed and resprayed by the previous owner back in early 2017 and only done a few bits of restoration since. Day of purchase Since I've owned it I have down the following: - Replaced the radiator as the original one was punctured and also added dual electronic fans as it was missing the clutch fan. (Radiator and fans came together) - There was weird sound coming from the front left passenger side when wheel was turning, so I replaced the front wheel bearings all together with so. (Yes thats me in the best PPE :P) - At the same time, ive replaced the studs with 50mm studs to give extra thread for aftermarket wheels. - Got Round Top twin SU carby - It was leaking from the rear main seal, so I took the engine out of the car and replaced the rear main seal. Although I dont have photos, but I purchased a VRS gasket kit so all gaskets have been replaced. - Welsh plugs are replaced with brand new brass welsh plugs - - Saw a bit of blue on the block so i assumed it was the factory colour so i cleaned the block and resprayed it. - Since it was out, I took the opportunity to machine the flywheel - Replaced the clutch with Clutch Industries Heavy Duty Clutch - Took the header off and cleaned the block (sorry don't have photos but you will see it in person) - VRS gasket kit. So all gaskets replaced. Once the engine was done, I turned my attention towards the interior. - The dashboard was severely tired. So I took it out and and spent a few days repairing it. Center console, seats and old mats taken out. The floor pan had the original sound deadening as well the sound deadening and rust proofing done by previous owner. I also removed that because I wanted to redo it all again. (Sound deadening took me a while to remove :P) - Sprayed Heavy duty rust proof oil (which is an orange to red in colour), left it overnight. Cleaned it up and sprayed a black rust proof enamel. - Rolled out new sound deadening with great coverage. Drivers side, passenger side and transmission tunnel. - New heat insulation. I used it to cut out the template for the carpet as well which saved me a great deal of time. Used the same template to cut out the new carpet. (Its one piece) Removed the old sagging head liner (dont know what happened here), pillars and lining going across the front. Have replaced the head liner with new sound deadening (sorry forgot to take a photo) and new leather vinyl. So now im putting everything else back together. Ive replaced many of the other bits bobs along the way like speedo cable, thermostat housing (and thermostat), all plugs filters, brake fluids etc have all been replaced drained and refilled. Car runs great! Just need to work out my electronics. Not sure where I am going wrong with my tacho as its hovers over 500rpm when started but it doesnt rev all seem like it is not getting a signal or reading a current from the coil at all. Not sure if if 75 260z 2+2 read the same as a 240z (current) or like the later models do signal (just encountered it yesterday) but will continue my research. But that is me and my z for now, Sorry for long post and but thanks for viewing and reading. Hopefully I can meet some of you in the near future! Have a great day! Cheers! Tim
  2. 1 point
    I've learnt that you really need to see these cars in person. It may photograph well, but it may have a lot of flaws that show up in person. I personally think it was purchased under valued. I would have thought closer to $50k maybe $55k, but I suspect those who saw it in person could see more work to be done.
  3. 1 point
    A fairly realistic price for what looks like a original ish 240z . Makes some of the asking prices close to six figures look a bit ambitious !
  4. 1 point
    Car went for $41,909 including fees about 44k? I wanted to bid but... just could do it around this time.. Sad but also relieved due to a cash risk. Good on the winner for getting a good deal.
  5. 1 point
    AndBir

    Must Watch Automotive Program Thread.

    Thanks for the link, I dare not even start tinkering with mine other than the idle mixture screw setting. Looking at Part2, and how so many components interact with each other, one can see why fuel injection is an attractive option!
  6. 1 point
    That is a truly outstanding first post. Great pics and great work. I was particularly impressed with your dash restoration. When you casually said "The dashboard was severely tired. So I took it out and and spent a few days repairing it" I thought about how that can be one of the more difficult parts of a project. You obviously have a breadth of skills in car restoration and purchased a good incomplete project vehicle. Nice to be able to do such quality work yourself. I am in awe of what you have accomplished in less than 12 months I look forward to hearing more about the project as it nears completion and would be interested to hear more about yourself and what else you have done in the car world.
  7. 1 point
    Dabble..
  8. 1 point
    Well that is certainly some very nice "dabbling" Well done as your work looks very professional!!
×
×
  • Create New...