HS30-00408 3 YEAR REBUILD

GV260

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor was left to last on purpose to see if there was enough cash left to go the whole hog and rebuilt it as well. There wasn't but sometimes in life you just have to say WTF.... We pulled the head off and the valve and springs were definitely on their way out, and one of the bores wasn’t looking too good either. Since every single part on the car was either brand new or fully rebuilt it left no choice but to do the motor as well, properly! Simon from PowerPlay wrote a list of parts needed to make it a bullet proof and drivable rally motor with the focus being a big flat torque curve as oppose to having outright top end power. F54 block was hot tanked, crack and sonic tested, bored and honed. Crank was also crack tested, stress relieved, heat treated, linish polished, re-straightened, stress relieved again, re-crack tested, clean and linished post heat treatment. Work on the internals parts included Carrillo style billet steel conrods with ARP 2000 rod bolts, forged flat top pistons with valve pockets added, Cosworth race valve springs, ACL bearings, ARP head and main stud kits, heat treated 74 degree works cam shaft, exhaust ports and combustion chamber on N42 head were extensively reworked by Eddie Woods, ATI Super Damper harmonic balance & hub assembly, new Exedy Sports Tuff heavy duty centre sprung 5 ceramic button race clutch, Facet barrel high pressure fuel pump, black ceramic coated rocker cover, triple 45mm Weber carbs fully rebuilt and balanced, Race Rads alloy radiator with internal oil cooler & 2 x Davies Craig thermo fans, SW Motorsport 2½ inch extractors and exhaust with 18 inch hot dog and straight thru muffler, all ceramic coated, Fullriver HC20 lightweight (7kg) dry cell race battery. Prior to the rebuild the motor made 138 rwkw. After the rebuild it made 153+ rwkw (but with wheel spin on the dyno). Given the rally specs of the motor, torque curve is very flat from 3500 rpm to an adjustable rev limiter 7500 rpm, with peak power at 6500 rpm.

post-1385-144023693205_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693208_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693212_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693215_thumb.jpg

Motor was finished and refitted in Nov ’09. Car was then returned home for refitting of the interior. All new series 1 internal panels, console and vinyl interior were sourced and fitted, including a new pair of Velo Podium 2 race seats and 5 point Schroth race harnesses. An acrylic rear window for the hatch was also made up and shaped by Plasview (http://www.plasview.com.au/) using the original glass. A new windscreen and wiper arms were also fitted, along with a quick release steering wheel boss to aid entry and exit from the car given the extent of the roll cage intrusion bars. Other items include a shift light, electronic rev limiter, Kenwood stereo & Pioneer 3 way 6x9 speakers, oil surge light, kill switch mounted into the (brand new series 1 ash tray) cigarette lighter hole, Terratrip 202 rally trip meter and Peltor intercom, 2 x mini 12 volt hairdryers mounted directly to each of the front windscreen vents for demisting (given heater has been removed to save weight), Sparco alloy foot pedal set, fiberglass factory front air dam, Z432 mesh grill and badge.

post-1385-144023693237_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693242_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693247_thumb.jpg

post-1385-144023693251_thumb.jpg

The car was completed in April 2011 taking exactly 3 years to complete. Car is now in concourse condition and to date, due to other commitments, it has only been on the track on two occasions but is awaiting its tarmac rally debut at Targa High Country in 3 weeks. It has street registration so I try to take it out for a run once a month (hence the stereo).

I have previously raised the topic Restored 240 vs New 370 (http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6973.0.html) on our forum as to, if you had the budget, would you do a full complete restoration on a 240 or spend the cash on a new 370? Alternatively, is there a budget limit to the amount you'd spend on a 240 restoration before giving it away and look at buying something new, for example a 370Z, 350Z, R32-34?

Well, I've gone the full restoration route and have now spent way too much money - my wife will kill me when & if she ever finds out! If I had known it was going to cost me this much in the end I'd probably would not have done it being an accountant and thus a tight arse! But ignoring the $$$, now that I have I couldn't be more pleased as I have fulfilled a life-long dream since I fell in love with Zeds when I was 18 (I’m now almost 48)....... Everyone has a vice and mine is my 240Z.... God knows I've worked bloody hard and long enough to finally indulge myself in this passion......that's my excuse anyway!

Future changes could include fitting of a factory rear spoiler (but I’m not sure if I like the look), Murray Coote suspension, replica carbon fiber Prince airbox and, if I could ever source one, an original Z432 rally clock (was the losing bidder last time one came up on eBay).

Specifications

Body: Chassis # HS30 00408 full rotisserie restoration with all panels removed, sand blasted, POR15 undercoated, repainted in original red colour (code 905 Monte Carlo), fully seem welded chassis, strut towers and other stress sections, fully welded and gusseted race cage, MSA front & rear splash guards, Z432 front grill & badge, JDM bonnet badge, replica f/glass Datsun factory front spoiler, JDM front & rear re-chromed bumpers

Brakes: front - Nissan Skyline R32 4 spot calipers with Mercedes slotted rotors, rear - Nissan Skyline R31 calipers with DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors, solid brake lines, Pagid RS4-2 Blue carbon based brake pads, Motul Dot 5.1 brake fluid

Suspension & steering: adjustable coil overs with red Koni shocks (built by Toperformance), front springs 300 lbs, rear 330 lbs, 22mm front & rear sway bars, Nissan competition shortened steering arms, adjustable front lower control arms & castor rods, 280ZX tie rod ends, polyurethane bushes throughout, adjustable front strut brace. Tarmac rally settings are front: +3.37° castor, -3.32° camber, +1mm toe; rear: -1.5° camber, +4mm toe, and plenty of ground clearance

Diff: R200 LSD 4.375 longnose, TechnoVersions front diff mount

Gear box & clutch: 260Z type 71B fully rebuilt with all new gears and syncro’s; Exedy Sports Tuff heavy duty centre sprung 5 ceramic button race clutch

Wheels: Nismo 15's x 6.5" (made by Enkei) with 215 x 50 Yokohama A050R semi slicks

Motor: L28 F54 block, N42 head, triple 45mm Webers, 2,834cc (87.0mm bore x 79.0mm stroke) full race internals including forged flat top pistons with valve pockets added, Carillo style billet steel conrods with ARP 2000 rod bolts, 44mm inlet valves x 116.3mm long, 35mm outlet valves x 117.3mm long, Cosworth race valve springs, ARP head and main stud kits, 74 degree Nissan rally spec cam, ATI Super Damper harmonic balance & hub assembly, SW Motorsport 2½ inch extractors and exhaust with one 18 inch hot dog & straight thru muffler, all ceramic coated, Autometer rev limiter, Race Rads alloy radiator with internal oil cooler & 2 x Davies Craig thermo fans, Facet barrel high pressure fuel pump, Fullriver HC20 lightweight (7kg) dry cell race battery. Makes 154+ rwkw (unknown due to dyno slippage)

Interior: All new interior panels, dash, rear carpet and vinyl, 2 x Velo Podium 2 race seats, 2 x 5 point Schroth race harnesses, Nismo steering wheel with quick release boss, shortened gear stick with Nismo knob, Terratrip 202 rally computer, Peltor intercom, 260Z speedo & odometer recalibrated, helmut hammock, Sparco alloy foot pedal set, 2 x 1kg fire extinguishers, 260Z passenger foot brace, custom switch panel with oil pressure warning light, internal & external kill switches, 2 x 12 volt hair dryer fans for front windscreen demisting, Kenwood stereo and Pioneer 3 way 6x9 speakers, FIA spec roll cage padding, engine immobilizer.

This should be called project Tsunami !

Monumental in exicution, result and the way you hit us all with the thred !

Congratulations Graham, well done !

Cheers

John

Looks incredible, really nice job you've done.

This might help you on the search for Z432 clock:

http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=26322&term=Z432#26322

Basically lets you browse yahoo auctions japan, but in English. If you find something, you can either sign up and bid yourself, or get someone like www.jessestreeter.com to bid on your behalf, pack stuff up and send it to you.

Daresay there'll be better luck finding one there than on English ebays. E.g. I saw a Z432 tacho the other week, was going to bid before it ended, but when it went above $200, I started questioning my sanity...

Well done for sticking it out on the build. It looks great!!! Three years is pretty fast as far as big projects go I think.

Powerplay/datrally are great. They have put together the blue 260Z two seater that I now own and do excellent work. It's the zed pictured on their home web page.

Yes Paulo, that is so true, I was 18 when I first saw a zed and fell in love with the body shape, and therefore bought one, Evan to this day I still love the look of them, when you have a fully sorted Zed its a pleasure to own and drive.( race) long live the Zed.