Ian's '72 240z

It's about time I started a build thread for this...

A couple of months ago I bought Benny's 240z. I've been holding off on posting this thread until I'd actually done something to it so it felt more like 'my' project. I won't post any general pictures, since they're in Benny's thread.

Anyway, so far I've put on a 1" brake master cylinder, and Hilux front brakes - see attached pic (although they're not bled yet).

My immediate plans to get it on the road are (off the top of my head, probably missing a few):

- get brake system operational (including hand brake)

- move fuel tank to fit wheels properly (it's currently a too far to the left for what I want)

- set up fuel system (still not decided on this one...)

- fix up a few oil leaks and replace a few bushes

- sort out some electrical/wiring issues

- fit central locking

- fit air con (going for a Vintage Air setup)

- new wheels

- fit front bumper (I've got a new chrome one, but I'm leaning towards a fibreglass one that I can paint)

- paint (well, get painted, I think I'll pay to get this done properly)

I'm not sure on fuel system - the car has round-top SUs that have been cleaned up and had a kit put through them (I believe), and I've got triple DHLA40s that I've stripped down and rebuilt, but I keep coming back to EFI for low maintenance, reliability, and fuel efficiency (to a very small degree, this really doesn't come into it.

I've got the air con system pretty much planned out, I'll post some details in the next few days.

In the future (when the car's on the road) I'd like to look at making up an in-dash computer with touch screen that could control the air con (looks do-able) and double as the stereo. This is a bit ambitious I think, and will be one of the last things I do.

More updates to come. I want the car running by Christmas (painted and registered would be nice, but that's probably pushing it... I'm playing cricket on Saturdays and training twice a week, so time is limited).

post-1454-144023646574_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAY TO GO !

Congrats and great to see the car found a good home.

Dont give up on that in car central PC idea, check Youtube there is a guy running just about everything via an Ipad.

Cheers

John

Dont give up on that in car central PC idea, check Youtube there is a guy running just about everything via an Ipad.

I'm not concerned about the technical aspects (it's pretty much what I do for a living), but it will come down to available time. The Vintage Air system is all servo controlled, which lends itself well to computer control. Stereo functionality should be pretty straight forward, and then there's stuff like GPS...

Speaking of air conditioning, I'm going with the following main components:

- VA Gen II Mini evaporator (heat/cool/defrost)

- VA 24" x 12" x 3/8" horizontal condenser

- Sanden SD5H14 compressor (new version of the SD508)

The condenser should fit in front of the radiator, although I think I'll need to install a second thermo fan.

I'm not sure about mounting the compressor. I might track down a stock compressor bracket, and Vintage Air sell a universal bracket that can be modified to suit. I'm sure there'll be a solution there somewhere...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow this slipped to the 5th page... so slack.

Brakes are all on and hooked up, and I got the hand brake working. Waiting for a kit to arrive to fix a leak in one of the rear calipers before I can bleed the system though.

Came off my (push) bike the other week and busted my hands up a bit, which has slowed me down.

I've spent the time doing lots of car research though, and I stumbled across a 200ZR sump and pick up at a very good price, so I'm thinking an RB25 conversion may be on the cards (even got approval from the other half!).

I've realised you can't really see in that video (don't know what the deal is with the funny aspect ratio???), but that's with the triples on. I've got them jetted correctly (or, at least, at what I decided was the best combo to start with), but the balance seems way off. I'll have to get a Synchrometer - they're supposed to be much more user-friendly than a unisyn, and they don't cost much more.

Getting the engine running is definitely a very good feeling. Getting it to run well will be even better!

Dellorto setup is as follows:

chokes: 32mm

main jets: 135

air correctors: 195

emmulsion tubes: 7772.6

idle jets: 50

pump jets: 35

And the air bleeds have been reduced to 0.9mm.

The engine is an F54/N42 L28 with dished pistons (or so I believe, haven't checked), with extractors (standard ebay type) and 2.25 inch exhaust.

• 2 months later...

Got everything running again today with a new starter motor (thanks Matt/PZG302!). Fuel's going everywhere... Looks like I'm going to need a fuel return line afterall (current setup is just the mechanical pump through a regulator set at 3.5PSI, no return). The floats are moving freely, and the needles are all new and look fine.

Without a fuel rail, how should I run the return line? Around the back of the engine, then back to the hardline at the front right?