Saxon's 260z

Hi guys,

After a little bit of a search, I have bought my 2 seater '75 260z! I am so friggen over the moon right now!!! Even now in its unkempt and unmodified appearance, it still looks bad ass. Can't wait til i start fixing it up a bit.

I got this car off a very nice guy in Frankston. It popped up on carsales a few weeks ago. He has been the owner for the past 15 years, and although it has been a little neglected, it is in not too bad shape. The dash is cracked, the interior needs an overhaul, it's in desperate need of new paint and there are a few rust spots, but apart from that, it's pretty good.

As he passed the keys over, he told me it probably needs a tune. Driving it around today, it is lumpy as fudge, just how I want it!!! The engine bay looks very clean, but I didn't get a pic, will do later.

Luckily just when I received my new toy, my girlfriend was around to take some pictures for me.

scaled.php?server=847&filename=img0044d.png&res=medium

scaled.php?server=32&filename=img0021n.png&res=medium

Someone somewhere along the line has lifted up the carpet, taken off that sticky shiver everyone hates, and put down what looks like a black rust treatment:

scaled.php?server=193&filename=img0036p.png&res=medium

Rust near the fuel cap, the worst of only a couple of rust bubbles, I will attack it with righteous fury:

scaled.php?server=692&filename=img0024xtu.png&res=medium

This is my happy face!

scaled.php?server=854&filename=img0032ro.png&res=medium

I'm looking at doing the following stuff. I'll mark things off as they get completed.

Get a roadworthy certificate within 28 days or my rego gets suspended - Done

Remove rear bumper and smooth over the holes

Sand back to primer or bare metal (undecided) and remove rust, based on the rust bubbles and poor previous paint job, maybe its best to go to bare metal?

New front bumper - Purchased

ZG Flares - Done

BRE Spoiler - Done

Airdam - Done

Paint in orange, with flares, front bumper, airdam, rear spoiler and tail light area in satin black - Done

Wheels - CCW 16x10.5 -32 rear 16x9.5 -19 front, 225 and 205/50R16 tyres - Done

Arizona Z Car coilover and camber plate conversion kit, low with camber on rear wheels - Obtained

s2000 seats - Done

Black Carpet - Done

Diamond Vinyl trim - Done

Reskin Dash - Done

Fix crack in centre console - Done (just bought a new one)

New badges - Done

Fendor Mirrors - Done

L28 conversion eventually, and other mechanical upgrades when I learn more about that stuff (I know jack all).

welcome ...agree , great starting point.

I swear we had curtains the same as your door & seat trim in 70's....what a ripper,  make sure you dont replace them, my missus said she could  make some scatter cushions from the material  ;D

Haha not sure if you guys are serious about the trim, i think it's foul! haha. They will be going asap. Im cutting out the trim on the drivers seat cause its in tatters from wear, and got pulled up on roadworthy for it (apparently can't have ripped seats). I think I'll put s2000 seats in, and black vinyl on the doors.

Bruce, I hope I can get it into a respectable condition before then!

thanks guys, i went for a big shop at supercheap today, got some cheap tacky seat covers, should do the job. Got some stuff to do a diy dash repair and console crack fix as per some threads i found. And got a freash windshield off dimitri today. :D

• 1 month later...

Small Update:

I got my suspension and camber plates, flares, s2k seats, and BRE rear spolier.

Wheels have been ordered from CCW and are 4 weeks away - 10.5 rear and 9.5 front, fitted with Dunlop Direzza 225 and 205 tires. Will see how long that takes me to get defected :P Was 3.8k all up including shipping which I think is not too bad, compared to Watanabe or something plus tires.

Bunch of other stuff is ordered on the way. By the way - DON'T EVER BUY CARPET FROM TRU FIT CARPETS - they have the worst customer service and they are slow.

I took it for a cruise up to Winton last weekend, went really well, no issues at all, seems pretty reliable.

So I need assistance installing my flares and cutting my guards an inch or 2, as per the critically acclaimed method on hybridz. If anyone has done this before and can assist me with it, that would be great. You will be re-imbursed with cash, or beer, jelly beans, or whatever you like we can work something fair out.

Want to get it done within the next couple of weeks so I can get the suspension in as soon as my wheels land (was gonna do this at a shop, but if anyone backs themself to put in the Arizona Z Car suspension kit, then let me know. Will reimburse you for your efforts of course).

Cheers,

Saxon

fwiw my s15 was defected the other weekend for being too low, for the first time that i know of, even though its been at that height for the last 3-4 years! so i think they must be slowly getting stuck into the whole hella flush/fully sick trend

the amazing thing was that I was pulled over another 3 times that weekend, all by cops wanting to defect it for being too low (not even that low http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4378970786_55d18926a4_b.jpg), only to be disappointed when they found out they were too late! If it had ridiculous camber with rims sticking out past the guards like UMAD, or a rediculously low kit, i'd be interested to know if they would have made me tow the car instead of being allowed to drive it for the 7 days they give you. That could have been very expensive considering the fact i was 300+km away!

I dont really want to add up how much it's going to end up costing me, even just in time, fortunately all this did was put a timeframe on me getting the car to a roadworthy state, as i was wanting to do so anyway, so i can put it up for sale and get stuck back into the zed

Nice ride.

For what its worth, does the ID plates and chassis stamp inside your engine bay say S15 at the start?

Strange question I know, but my mate recently discovered his early S15 has S14 plates and now he's freaking out thinking its a chop job or something.

I think so, don't have any knowledge of it's history. I don't think it has been thrashed about, I don't see how it could be since it has no race mods on it to speak of. Unless they were removed prior to sale. The only mods on it I know of is a radiator, the rounded top SUs, and it's been lowered.

I've had no plans to race it, but I dunno cause every time I get in it I get this urge to floor it and go as fast as possible. Fun car. Can't wait to finish put all the stuff in :D