260z 2-seater 3.1L stroker SOLD

DevilZ

Hi!

It's been a while since I ported on the site but i've decided to sell my 260z. Its a blue, 2-seater 3.1L stroker with a multi throttle body setup. The cars advertised on carsales with full details and pictures. I'm open to reasonable offers given a car like this is very hard to get a hold of and costs a lot of money and time to build. Here's the link.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=3&R=8668872&keywords=&trecs=86&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=12B54D9224AA&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1216 1282 4294966615&silo=1011

cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I haven't really had many calls on the car and its still for sale. I'm open to offeres. At what price would someone on the forum want it for?

It's in immaculate condition and very quick, however I dont really get the chance to drive it too much so its just eatting money on insurance and rego every year.

If it doesn't sell int he next few months i'll be pulling the rego off and leaving it parked in the garage, so offers are welcome.

Raj

Ahhh the age old question. Spent a packet on the car and can't justify giving it away. Looks a nice car but sadly everyone sees that as a lot of money to pay for a Zed. So they figure they will build their own. But of course unbeknowns to them they spend an aweful lot of time and more money than you are asking to come up with the same result. I guess the bottom line is most prospective Zed buyers don't have the bulk cash to get one at this level in one hit.

Having said all that you might might find one. If not put it in the bank, err garage and hang onto it.

When all is said and done, most people won't care how many hours or how much you've spent on it. This is just the way it is in the modified car world.

You might be lucky and snag that buyer that is looking for exactly what you have and be willing to pay around what you are looking for but in my opinion, that is wishful thinking and wishful waiting.

You need to see what others are selling for (not what they are advertised at) and base your price around that if you want a sale, or just wait it out.

Saying that, I would value yours (not that I'm looking at buying, nor have I actually seen the car in the flesh) at around $17-$22k. Others will argue or disagree or get offended and that's fine, you asked "At what price would someone on the forum want it for?" And that would be my answer.

Saying that, I would value yours (not that I'm looking at buying, nor have I actually seen the car in the flesh) at around $17-$22k.

I don't know for sure, but suspect Rev's zed sold for around 23k, so that would put a stroker motor at least more than that.

As said above, most people still don't put that sort of value on these old cars, regardless of cost/time to build. Personally, I think your car is worth what your asking, 35, however, what it is worth and what you will get for it are 2 totally different numbers.

Unfortunately I think you might be stuck in the 'in-between' range, where the car is not as original and is not heavily modified, therefore leaving you in this kind of gray area where you have the trouble of finding someone to buy what was your dream, but may not be theirs. Plenty of people want original show cars, plenty want fully modified track cars and turbo motor conversions, not many want another person's car... If you get what I mean. At 35k, if you already own a zed you can pretty much build your own dream car, without sacrificing what you want for what is installed in someone else's car. This is precisely why I am building my own car rather than doing a body swap, even if it would be 5k+ cheaper, because I have my idea of what I want and couldn't/won't find it in another car.

As such I'd say your stuck at a value somewhere near body restoration plus motor, with no value to the package. Say 20ish for the resto and 5ish for the motor and you're floating around the $25,000 - $30,000 range. Don't take my word as gospel, this is just my thoughts, but if you haven't sold and have little interest at 35 you're clearly not getting exposure and/or too expensive.

At the end of the day, if you don't really need the money, don't really want to sell and if it'll be easy enough to re-register at a later date, stick it away, get shannons 'lay-up' insurance (about $10/month insurance against fire/theft for parked cars) and forget about it, it certainly isn't likely to go down in value.

Hi,

I appreaciate the responses guys. To be honest the car is insured for 28k with shannons. I'd be happy to take a figure in the 25-30k price range.

I know I've spent a lot more then that on the car and it does have some rare parts that will be hard to get even now if people wanted but it's all relitive to what someone is willing to pay.

I don't need the cash and I could leave it parked in the garage but I'd rather sell it to someone that really wants it. I think 17-22k is too low however. It's just one of those cars thats hard to get a serious buyer on. There isn't a big market for Datsuns in Australia, if it was an american muscel car it would be gone by now.

I might have to give japan a shot at some stage too if it gets too  long. Well if anyone is interested just rop me a message, its definately one of the fastest on the street with an L-series. The multi throttle fuel injection system with 3 coil ignition and computer is over 8k itself all up.

Raj

• Moderators

You beat me to it but as you said, give Japan a shot. They know the value of the cars compared to here and with your mods, I think will sell at the price you are after. Not sure how you'd go about it but let us know!

Yes I agree with the other guys in this current Oz market definetly a $25K - $30K, Zed car.

After all that work you have done if your not in a hurry and/or need the money I think I would sit on it for another 12 months then review your situation you will never replace it and it will only value up+ over time. Lynton 8)

People need to make up their minds....... One minute you're complaining that Z prices are too high, then saying you can't sell it for the price you want. ???

The market ALWAYS dictates the price.

If you keep missing out on buying one, spend more.

If you get no interest when selling, lower the price.

Its simple really.

But, asking values to people who are Z enthusiast's will get a biased result. Plus, most of us have our Z's already.

People need to make up their minds....... One minute you're complaining that Z prices are too high, then saying you can't sell it for the price you want. ???

The market ALWAYS dictates the price.

If you keep missing out on buying one, spend more.

If you get no interest when selling, lower the price.

Its simple really.

But, asking values to people who are Z enthusiast's will get a biased result. Plus, most of us have our Z's already.

Exactly!

A lot of pieces of the puzzle need to fall in place for a buyer to snap this up.

It has to pretty much be exactly what they are looking for and have the coin for it.

Although not classics like this car is/will be, people will also compare what else they can get for the money.

a mint r33 gtr

modified supra tt

honda s2000

and not forgetting a 350z

All those and a few more are at the price range this is.

• Administrators

Dude I love the Z, but 35k is a lot of cash for a 260z. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but perhaps you need to realise that you are going to have to wait for the right buyer.

I would almost say that if it was a 240z people would be more inclined to part with the cash, since 240z's generally hold more value. Although as we all know the differences are not really that big and a 260z is just as good a car, if not better than the 240z once modified.

You may want to try Shannon's auctions to see what bidding will go up to?

To be honest you can't build a car like that with much change out of 35k. Perhaps you should look at offering the car to the UK? 240z's sell quickly over there. Try www.pistonheads.co.uk

I would also put a video of the car up, maybe stick it on youtube so people can see what a proper L28 can do in such a car. I think people don't realise just how light the old S30's are and you don't need 500 million HP in 1 to go fast.

Anyway good luck with it, personally I'm not a huge fan of the side skirts or painted rear bumper but that's just me. The rest looks great.

Hi Raj,

Like the guys have said - right buyer will be difficult to find.

Unfortunately most of the fun is in the journey of building your own zed and putting your individual stamp on it - as I am sure you are aware.

My personal opinion?  To sell yours - you will need to offer it at a price that allows a buyer to budget for some modifications to make the zed their "own".

Whether it be individual touches like different paint, change of interior interior, new wheels, ZG flairs or different spoilers etc, etc - paying 30K for the zed means someone will need to fork out another 5K-10K (at least..prob more) to make it their "own car".

At your price - probably out of the average zed buyer budget to purchase AND modify.

So yeah - maybe keep that in mind with your advertised price.  Lower it a bit to allow for a potential buyer to dream of some mod's and find potential in your car to make it their own.

Also FYI - there was an awesome, engineered red V8 zed for sale earlier last year (carsales/forum).  I was told the owner had spent close 100k on the car over the years he had it (not verified with owner, but I believe it).  I understand it sold for somewhere around 35K.

Yep.  :'(

Good luck with the sale though Raj.  She looks like an awesome car. 

Shan

hey Gav, respectfully I have to give some 'push back' about the idea that the 240z will outprice a 260z.  In my experience most people who are willing to spend are not buying from a 'purist' mindset but from a perspective of 'how much toy' can I get for my dollar.  I have sold two 2+2's for more than many a 240z is going for based on look, immediate drivabilty etc and my 260z beat the selling price of 90% of eqiv 240z, it's not so much the model as it is the ability to purchase something that won't sit in the back corner of the shed for 5 years.

Rev.

• Moderators

Sorry, I don't mean to fill this thead with too much garbage, but I'd advertise the car (if you really want to offload it) in other markets that appreciate the zed for what it is. In Australia, like we have said hundreds of times before, it's still a Datsun and they believe they can pick one up for the price they used to see them go for; like 3-4K. In Japan and the UK, where they are getting harder to find, prices are where they should be here. Raj's 260 isn't a full blown race car, nor is it a standard car just rolled out of the factory, to personalise it would just mean a change of wheels and a number plates. His car reminds me of my first 260; same colour and same EFI system but minus the stroker and excellent condition of the interior. Guy who bought it converted it to virtually stock before offloading it again. Problem here is everyone want to pay no more than around 10-12K. Like that "Wanted 240Z" post.... willing to pay 0-15K for a 240Z with no/little rust...sorry, you may have to almost double that number! If you are desperate to offload quickly around here, then you have to slash the price...

Another here who thinks 25k or a bit over should sell it.  This is not to say the cars not WORTH 35k, it looks to be a good car with good bits (haven't seen it in the flesh).

The problem is, most people look at that price in comparison to the cheap ones, and say "I can build that car myself for that price, and I don't have to come up with the money all at once."

What they don't factor in is all the little costs (and sheer time) involved in building a car like this, which just keep adding up, especially given the facilities the average person has on hand.  Even Gav240z, who knows quite well how much a lot of these things cost, has been a bit optimistic with his comment previously:

To be honest you can't build a car like that with much change out of 35k.

Gav, no disrespect meant, but the average person won't get any change at all out of 35k to build something like that when you include buying a car to start from.  I'm not convinced I could build that car much cheaper (if at all), as a mechanic by trade with plenty of contacts.  For reference, my Alfetta in my signature owes me not much short of 20k - everything mechanical has been upgraded (every piece of suspension, and the entire powertrain), and the only labour I haven't done are the bits involved machining (engine and gearbox).  That is 20k in parts and machining costs, nothing else, and the engine is standard internally, just that I rebuilt it and balanced.  The machining costs probably make up at MOST 10% for the whole car.  I already had the car, and I'm running a Megasquirt which costs less than a quarter of almost any other aftermarket ECU.  I'm using motorbike throttles which cost me about $400 to buy - considerably less than the EFI hardware gear.

But, back on topic, since the average punter reckons they can build it for 35k, to appeal to them, you need to price it in that 25-30k bracket so they actually realise they are saving money.

Or, you wait for someone who is serious about building a car like yours, realises and understands their limitations, and has fully costed the project out before even buying a car to start from.  That is the guy who will pay 35k for it, but that is also a very rare person, and you may have to wait quite a long time for someone that sensible.

Comes down to whether you need the money now, or want to get what it's worth.  FWIW, if I had that kind of money to play with (Tattslotto please, even a smaller one will do!), 25k would make that car very appealing to me - I know I just could not build it for that.  But keep in mind, I have a soft spot for 3.1s and individual throttle bodies (was a dream of mine when I had my Zed project) - not everyone is going to want that.

Yeah I agree.

I think i will price it down to 30k and leave it there for a while. See how much interest it sparks.

All my friends think I'm crazy to sell the car. I'm thinking I'll make this the final price drop and if it doesn't sell i'll just start to track race it.

thanks for the input guys! :)

Raj

Nice 260z there!!

If i had the spare coin i would probably pay 25,000 for this its certainly worth that i reckon.

I would personally keep the car and club reg it. A fraction of the price to keep on the road and with the new changes in Feb and the 90 days its well worth doing it now.

Thats the way i have gone and cant wait to get her back on the road.

Cheers

Graedat

Nice 260z there!!

If i had the spare coin i would probably pay 25,000 for this its certainly worth that i reckon.

I would personally keep the car and club reg it. A fraction of the price to keep on the road and with the new changes in Feb and the 90 days its well worth doing it now.

Thats the way i have gone and cant wait to get her back on the road.

Cheers

Graedat

Doesn't your car have a V8 Grae? I was under the understanding that the new club reg rules the car couldn't be too modified?

Sorry for the hijack.