Sumitomo MK 63 Calipers, brake pads and caliper rebuild kits now avail.

dat2kman

Re the MK63's being used in Gp S AKA "Historic PRODUCTION Sports Cars"

I have been told, on a number of occaisions, by our Chairman of the CAMS Historic Elegibility Committee,

"Show us evidence of any Datsun Z car being built, and fitted, with these particular items, as a new car, off ANY production line, or assembled by Nissan, at ANY factory, or fitted by ANY dealer, to a new car, that was then used on public roads, and registered, in any country, and we, CAMS will give you these items, however, it cant have been buiot as a racing car, for use on a circuit"

Nissan assembled a few Z's ( approx 30, i know most of the registration numbers, dates, and where the cars were used) fitted with good stuff, then had them registered, and then sent to South Africa, UK and Europe, one of those very cars was sent to Australia

Now, the Morgan Motor Company, in Wales, and the MG Car Co in UK, has done the above, and, certain items were accepted.

Here is the fly in the ointment,,,,,,

We dannot get documentary evidence that Nissan assembled these cars, from Nissan, on Nissan company, or Dealer/Concessionare letterhead !

Bloody frustrating.

Just because its in the Option Parts catalogues, that means diddly squat, it has to have been all bolted onto a NEW car, by Nissan

Oh, the cars??

Road registered 240/260/280Z's sed in rallying, in Africa, England and Europe!

Including the car Dunkerton drove in Australia, that had the original Japanese registration plates fitted!

Oh, and weight,

The MK63 vs S12-8,

They are all almost the same weight, vented vs vented.

I dont have the non vented mk63, but you can be pretty well assured, the non vents are also very close.

Main differences, external casting markings and a bit of ribbing, piston diams in the Toyotas are unequal, and, seal section sizes and dimensions are slightly different.

No, you cant fit the atoyata seal kit, to a MK63, and, no, the brake pads also dont swap between them.

The continuing Sc parts eligibility saga. As I've said before I bet if a concentrated effort was made in the US with maybe a bit of 'expenses' money offered something good would turn up. After all the US was the biggest Zed market by far so it makes sense to look there as a priority.

• Administrators

What about 432's?

Did they come standard with MK63's?

I'm sure Alan will clarify, but not as standard. It's possible on the PS30-SB (432-R's) that they were ordered with the car, but Alan would need to clarify and I believe may not know or have any paperwork proving it was ordered at time of purchase (rather it was ordered as part of sports option catalog after).

Group S and CAMS need to come to there senses

HRA -historic rally association at least move with the times I can run triple carbs and any other period parts from the Sports Option catalogue under H81 in this years Alpine rally.

The continuing Sc parts eligibility saga. As I've said before I bet if a concentrated effort was made in the US with maybe a bit of 'expenses' money offered something good would turn up. After all the US was the biggest Zed market by far so it makes sense to look there as a priority.

Incorrect, again,,,,

The cars were never assembled in USA just sold there, so there is ZERO point in wasting resources going that route.

They could buy parts, and fit them onto a "used" car though.

No USA Dealer supplied new, off the lot, with said items fitted, for public road use.

Actually I believe there is evidence that a USA Dealer supplied new, off the lot, with said items fitted, for public road use as reported in the USA magazine Car & Driver July 1971 issue as per attached (source - refer image 6). Refer to image 4 for options fitted.

post-100937-0-06587000-1494749054_thumb.jpg

post-100937-0-25125100-1494749086_thumb.jpg

post-100937-0-15135800-1494749124_thumb.jpg

post-100937-0-65406200-1494749176_thumb.jpg

post-100937-0-14871000-1494749200_thumb.jpg

post-100937-0-47415100-1494749244_thumb.jpg

Actually I believe there is evidence that a USA Dealer supplied new, off the lot, with said items fitted, for public road use as reported in the USA magazine Car & Driver July 1971 issue as per attached (source - refer image 6). Refer to image 4 for options fitted.

Nonsense! The 'Omega Z' was a Car and Driver magazine project car. The whole point was that this was something that Nissan USA didn't sell, but Car and Driver magazine thought they should...

Are posts being deleted from this thread?

well,

It would very much seem so!

By who, and, more to the point,

Why?

The relevance to not only MK63 calipers, but other items, as the discussion evolves, may well be seen by others, as interesting and informative.

Certainly from the history of the car's perspectives.

Not all may own the rare ones.

• Administrators

Are posts being deleted from this thread?

Nope I haven't removed anything.

However we did move hosts so it's possible there was some posts lost during the transition of hosting platforms.

The 'Omega Z' was a Car and Driver magazine project car. The whole point was that this was something that Nissan USA didn't sell, but Car and Driver magazine thought they should...

Haha atleast it's peroid correct 'Omega Man' came out in 1971, starring moses himself.

• Administrators

At least 4 posts from the last 12 hours - including one of yours - vanished.

Yes thinking about it more, I actually think it had something to do with the server migration that was going on. Basically the site was moved to another host server and I had to make a DNS change to point the domain www.viczcar.com to the new location.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/16111-website-outages-image-attachment-issues/?p=191897

It's possible that some posts made between then and now have gone missing as a result I'm afraid. I didn't realise the server upgrade was going to require a DNS change. Sorry if your posts went missing! I usually try not to delete any posts in topics like these unless they go way off topic or are just tit for tat arguments that are non constructive.

Incorrect, again,,,,

The cars were never assembled in USA just sold there, so there is ZERO point in wasting resources going that route.

They could buy parts, and fit them onto a "used" car though.

No USA Dealer supplied new, off the lot, with said items fitted, for public road use.

Lots of posts missing, oh well too bad for Jason, I can point out the error of his ways, again.

So you know for a fact Jason that not one of the hundreds of US dealers fitted, say, a set of wide wheels to a new S30 that they sold? And what 'resources' are being wasted, problem as I see it is there is only complaining over the years and no resources, eg effort and money, put into actually attempting to obtain proof of useful performance parts being fitted to new cars.

Nonsense! The 'Omega Z' was a Car and Driver magazine project car. The whole point was that this was something that Nissan USA didn't sell, but Car and Driver magazine thought they should...

Do you always have to be so agressive? GV260 was just trying to contribute, his mistake was an honest one like WE ALL make from time to time.

Edited by 260DET

Do you always have to be so agressive? GV260 was just trying to contribute, his mistake was an honest one like WE ALL make from time to time.

Don't worry about me, I'm just one of your Barry McKenzie-styled "Poofters"...

Actually the whole point is not that Nissan USA sold the car but that dat2kman is looking for evidence of only one new car being sold by a dealer to a customer with factory sports options fitted. The magazine ordered their project Omega car new from a dealer with the listed options fitted. Whilst no invoice thereof is provided hopefully for dat2kman the article this is sufficient evidence for his purposes.

Actually the whole point is not that Nissan USA sold the car but that dat2kman is looking for evidence of only one new car being sold by a dealer to a customer with factory sports options fitted. The magazine ordered their project Omega car new from a dealer with the listed options fitted. Whilst no invoice thereof is provided hopefully for dat2kman the article this is sufficient evidence for his purposes.

With all due respect, that's not the way it reads. The article says:  "What you do is take your brand fresh 240Z, remove the transmission, differential, suspension, brake linings, wheels and tyres...and, throw them all away."

How is this different to the situation in any other country? Nissan's parts department listed the parts in question, but didn't supply them as an option (a box to tick on ordering) on a showroom model in that country.

I think all this "prove it to me" thing from race class organisers is based on their faith that you won't be able to. If you do, they'll simply move the goalposts again because their aim is to keep the status quo and promote races on a relatively even playing field (even if some don't agree).