V8Datto’s Early 240Z Build

PM sent regarding gearbox cross-member mounting points design

Both sill areas were sandblasted and painted with POR-15

I also painted in all the hard to reach places in the cabin where the spray gun didn't reach, but have now decided to re-sandblast the entire interior and pant with Black POR-15 at a later date

DSCN1574.jpg

DSCN1557.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I removed both seatbelt plates before the trip to the sandblaster which left some holes so I made up some replacement parts from flat steel,

DSCN1629.jpg

DSCN1636.jpg

I welded up the completed chassis rail and painted, floor tacked in place

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

Seam welded leaving the tunnel edge for final adjustment and trim

DSCN1647.jpg

• 5 months later...

Don't worry it gets a lot worst....... then a lot better

I have more photos to post of progress but at this stage work has stopped on this zed because of the change of rules regarding engine conversions since I started the build.

The Toyota V8 I planed on using is no longer going to meet the needs of what I want, so at this stage I'm thinking RB25DET conversion. Just have to work out cost's involved and rules,

I don't want to sink 5-10k into a conversion to find I can't get it registered because the rules changed again

Great work.  Appreciate the photos, a lot of familiar scenes and many I know I am yet to visit.  Seeing how other have handled them is a great help.

So many, many spotwelds, drilling them out is one thing I am truly getting sick of.  However I can say that the early 240z shells have a lot fewer spots than later 260z 2+2s, so could be worse...

Yeah drilling out spot welds is relativity easy but you only get one chance of fixing the problem (of rust), because once re-welded it is incredibility difficult to get apart again, the rear of my car had been repaired before and dam was it hard getting the welds apart. almost destroyed the panels

And Simon the plan was to turbo the Toyota V8 but Victoria's rules are a bit grey atm

I think 2.8L is the largest turboed conversion that is allowed in a 240z

Problem is I'm going for club reg so I'm not sure if I have to follow Vicroad's rules or not,

I'd rather a nissan turbo six in there anyways, keep it in the family

Good work Loui, look forward to seeing it. That will be one of my future projects too. Just imagine pulling up next to a Bugatti Veyron and annihilating it!!! ;D Will have to have a look at some of your chassis strengthening sometime.

Anyway, good work V8 Datto good to see you getting all the rust out and hope my suggestion gives you some inspiration if you decide not to go the L-series. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Front sections removed

P1030393.jpg

Rusty areas of wiper area removed

P1030477.jpg

It was finally decided that the rear guards would need to come off as well,

No point going this far and leaving them on

The rear tail light panel was also removed

P1030476.jpg

P1030499.jpg

P1030498.jpg

20072009240.jpg

Just when you thought you couldn't remove anything else the support for the rear hatch was removed and replaced with steel to keep everything in the same place

P1030506.jpg

Definitely a low point in the build. Looking more like a few pieces of steel than a car, but on the plus side it can only get better

P1030503.jpg

P1030502.jpg

P1030551.jpg

Holy Moly!!! :o

Full points for thoroughness. I have heard of lightweighting cars but this time you have gone too far... ;D

Perhaps the rust free zed is akin to finding the holy grail, I think you might be on your way to finding it. ;D

Make sure you keep the chassis well supported, it is looking pretty flimsy on that rotisserie! Good work, keep it up.