Restored 240 vs New 370

GV260

I've enjoyed all your comments. My take thereof is it's a bit like the argument, is the sequal or cover version better than the original? Sure the newer version is more refined but it never has that feel or emotional response of the original. And it is because it is not original it never can evoke the same response even though it maybe better enginered, goes faster, is more efficient, comfortable and refined. Yeah sure the newer version is tempting but these things are never based on monetary terms alone (sorry Craig!) and as per the response of others, the newness of the updated model soon wears off and then there is a newer model again and on it goes. I think it comes down to character, something an original always has by the bucket load. Newer versions tend to have this intangible quality engineered out to improve them. A measure of how good the original was is always reflected in how close the newer version tries to mimic it. The 350/370 is evident of this in its style, interior and mechanical layout. The 370 is the modern version of a classic, it is a great sports car in its own right and is great for daily use but which would you choose for your Sunday drive - the restored 240 or the 370? Therein lies the answer.........

240z Anyday.

Regardless of cost, pain ,stress, taken knuckles ,sore knees, ill still do it again.

though i always make my Z to suit me what i want.

my 260z 2+2 (yeah bus) but that bus turned more heads than a 100k Porsche. (also i made sure it goes better than one)

kids love it, Oldies love it, even ppl who know sweet FA about cars love it.Not only that I love it i miss the fumes the rattles. but what i miss most is washing it and looking at it afterwards..

Now for me to do it again.

cant wait to get back in a S30 but it will take time money striped knuckles sore arms and legs but hey it all make sense when its done and u go for a drive..

BTW i love my newer cars too. in particular my S14 and S15. to me they are the S30 of the new age.

Ha all good points. I have to agree I am all for an original car even though I am almost over it. The best thing like people have said is you can build your Zed to suit your individual purpose. I have never been a name brand man, hence I own a Datsun. To me it comes down to individuality and performance. Something you might pay the price for but the journey can definately be rewarding. even if we never really fully complete the car to what we want. There is always more improvements to be done. Ahhh I dream of the day when I can say it's finished.

I guess thats one of the biggest problems for a lot of us, when is a car ever finished? Unless your goal is 100% factory original the goal posts will keep moving, i know my tastes tend to change a bit every couple years. But thats part of the fun in my books...  ;D

I bought a brand new 350Z back in 2004 and loved it. I thought it was a fantastic car, and every time I drove it felt like an occasion. Even going to work... Everything about it was terrific, steering, handling and performance (probably in that order too). The 350Z did most things but not everything better than a 240z. It went harder, handled better and was easier to live with on a daily basis. It got plenty of admiring looks, and to me has aged very well in it's styling. The way it drove was fairly unique I thought, as it never felt even remotely similar to anything I had driven before. Personally I think the 350z is a modern day classic. It feels very raucous and raw for a modern car, which I think is very refreshing. The 350 will always be special to me. From what I have read in motoring publications, the 370Z is what the 350Z was, plus more.

I no longer own a 350Z, but still have my 2nd 240Z. The 240Z is a classic for a reason. It's a 40 year old car that still performs remarkably well in every way. It gives you that same sense of occasion every time you get in it.  The way you sit low in the car surrounded by instruments, with all of the controls falling easily at your hands...it's great. You feel snug, and kind of special while sitting in the cockpit. Then you twist the key and the beautifully smooth inline 6 fires into life. You engage 1st/reverse gear with a wonderfully direct feel through the gearstick. You press the accelerator and let out the clutch, and the way the engine delivers that smooth push in the back with that crisp raspy sound is just totally addictive. The way the needle on the tacho wraps around the dial, combined with the push and noise. The combination of the direct steering and that sensation of being right over the rear wheels whilst pushing it into corners, ohh... I've got to hurry up and put my car back together. I miss it so much!

I miss my 350Z, but not nearly as much as I miss driving my 240Z. I think a restored 240 is the way to go...

For me its more about the satisfaction and connection you have to creating something that is unique to you and that carries your signature. Anyone can buy a late model car but no matter how much you love it, it will eventually become just another car. You buy a 40 year old car either restored or unrestored and it will allways invoke more passion than any late model car, no matter how good that late model car is. Even if you pay big bucks for an already restored car there is a sense of responsibility to maintain the car and retain the heritage for the sake of yourself and other owners of the same model car.

Ive look at forums for late model cars and much of it is restricted to upgrades like wheels/tyres, a bit of suspension and cosmetic shiver. If that floats your boat then that's OK but I think most on this forum are more hands on, involved and passionate and wouldn't have it any other way.