Kato Kids BMW M3 powered 71' 240Z

KatoKid

Not wanting to repeat the horror stories I've heard about carpets from others I've decided to take the car to a highly recommended trimmer to have some carpet custom made, also because I need to allow for my speaker locations. After two false starts between showers I managed to get the car there without getting rained on which wouldn't be advisable with no screens in place. 

Took some shots in the few seconds the sun came out.

attachicon.gifTo trimmers 1.jpg attachicon.gifTo trimmers 2.jpg attachicon.gifTo trimmers 3.jpg attachicon.gifTo trimmers 4.jpg

So very close now!!! 

I am so looking forward to see this one in the flesh again. It seen like years since we drop in and it was a shell siting in your shed.

That's because it has been years...too many years.....will be only a few months short of 7 years Bruce.

The carbon console that I got from Freddy has a cut out for the Ashtray/Fuse box cover so I needed to fill this in and create a cover of some kind.

Bought a 20 x 30cm x 2mm piece of carbon sheet off eBay, made a template and cut it up, then attached with velcro strips on four sides so I can quickly and easily get to the fuses if needs be.

post-101170-0-65739700-1505341957_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-44647500-1505341959_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-28902000-1505341982_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Big update today.....I'm racing the clock to be ready for my appointment with the VASS engineer on Monday!

Nearly two weeks ago the car went to the trimmers on a flatbed for carpet and while there I decided that I'm not good with fabric fabrication so got them to fit the interior kit that I got from Rev a couple of years ago. They were a little late getting started but got it finished last Friday and I'm pretty happy with the job they did, just a couple of little things I thought could have been a bit better but on the whole was OK. 

The car has never been polished since paint and the panel shop wanted it back to do this preferably before screens, trims and badges went on, so given the panel shop was only a 200m from the trimmer I took a punt and drove it there  :) . They finished with it yesterday so it came home on the flatbed so that screens could be fitted today.

Ace Autoglass, Greg did a great job fitting the screens (on a public holiday) so I could be ready for VASS inspection on Monday. Greg supplied the front screen and I supplied front rubber (Precision from MSA) and genuine rear rubber and both front and rear genuine chrome molds. Very happy with the fit of both.

Once Greg had fitted I got stuck into a long list:

• Fitted the front bar after having it reshaped as it was too close in the ends and hit the guards where it wrapped around the sides.
  • Fitted interior mirror and sunvisors.
  • Fitted genuine JDM guard mirrors.
  • Fitted all new badges except "Datsun" badge on the hatch which MSA is chasing for me.
  • Fitted genuine Nissan wiper blades assemblies.
  • Fitted genuine NOS door trims, winder handles and passenger grab handle.
  • Fitted all interior rear plastics.
  • Fitted new seat belts.
  • Fitted door belt molds and gutter molds.
  • Fitted genuine inner scuff plates and non genuine outer "Datsun" scuff plates.

Got much more done than I expected so pretty sure I will be ready for Monday. Tomorrow will be fitting the console (retrosound radio still on the way), final clean up and ride height adjustment.

I've already got a UVP (unregistered vehicle permit) which allows me to drive the car legally as part of the engineering inspection and RWC/Registration process so I need to calibrate the Speedhut speedo .......details to come!

It was very satisfying to sit in the car with a full interior and glass this evening, after experiencing the noisy tin can effect of no interior it was a very pleasant surprise. The fuel pump can barely be heard and the exhaust is nice without being obtrusive. Having said that proper driving will be the acid test.

post-101170-0-98564000-1506679127_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-38451200-1506679152_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-16662900-1506679154_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-70788400-1506679170_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-26872800-1506679183_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-40287700-1506679207_thumb.jpg

Edited by KatoKid

Door trims and front screen molds were bought 4 or 5 years ago and have been under the bed in our bedroom collecting dust.... but in a safe place! Wiper blades and all the other NOS stuff came with my order from MSA.

Happy to say that I'm 100% ready for the engineers tomorrow!

Yesterday was fitting a few more bits and pieces including fire extinguisher and the console which was a bit of a pain as I needed to fabricate brackets. I wanted to drill as few holes as possible in Freddy's artwork so the front is located with one M5 Philips head bolts each side and I reinforced the inside of the console by aralditing a large steel washer so hopefully any pressure wont cause damage as the carbon is pretty thin. The rear uses a bracket to locate the console laterally and some velcro stops it lifting up.  Fire extinguisher was pretty straight forward.

The only real tasks I had today was ride height and speedo calibration. Ride height was straight forward, the MCA struts come set up pretty low so I had to raise the car about 1cm front and rear to meet the 100mm minimum ground clearance. The front springs got wound up about 1.5cm but the rears needed 1.7cm to raise it the same amount but it was really quick and easy to do.

I purposely made my UVP effective today so I could drive it to calibrate the Speedhut speedo as I didn't want to leave this to the actual day it went to the engineers, just in case there were any issues. calibration requires you to set the calibration mode and then drive the car 4km exactly and press the button again to confirm. I used my Garmin 810 to give the distance and the once calibrated I checked the speed against the Garmin and my Tom Tom nav unit and confirmed it was spot on. 

I still need to source a windscreen washer pump but this shouldn't be required for engineering purposes, will be for RWC though.

Pics as she is...ready to go.

post-101170-0-73969200-1506840302_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-34033500-1506840304_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-77438200-1506840305_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-37775500-1506840332_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-82562100-1506840334_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-80782400-1506840336_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-25141800-1506840338_thumb.jpg post-101170-0-73634500-1506840339_thumb.jpg

Thanks gents for the kind words. Its been a long haul but the sense of achievement is worth it and I couldn't have done it without the help of this great community.

Still waiting for my aerial to arrive so didn't get to fit it.

Mirrors look out of place without black wheels....that will get sorted.....and the BMW dildo knob needs to go! 

Engineer says he wants it for 2 days, I'm sorta expecting they will pick something just for the sake of it....we shall see.

Good news.....the car is back from VASS engineering inspection.

A few minor points he wanted clarifying but the only fail was the noise level, came in at 99db on a 96db limit :(

post-101170-0-42832600-1507447674_thumb.jpg 

We talked through his list and he is happy with everything and doesn't need to see the car again:

• I need to fill out the brake conversion spec sheet, just for the records. He was very happy with the performance of the brakes in the test, absolutely no fade and spot on bias.....not bad considering I just left the Wilwood proportioning valve where it came out of the box!
  • I need to send him a photo of the rear brake line a full droop, I explained that I had them made 20mm longer than standard R31 just for this reason and he was happy with that.
  • Explained that I had made the front caliper adapter from cold rolled 13mm mild steel and was happy with that.
  • Will send him photos from my steering rack thread to confirm the rack dimensions....a case where the build thread is good documentation for just this sort of thing.
  • I explained that the bolts I used for the front calipers and adapters were the original Datsun caliper bolts from my car  and some donated from the spare struts that I picked up. Again he was happy with that.

I need to go through the noise test again and have made a couple of temporary baffles for the occasion!

post-101170-0-95710800-1507447672_thumb.jpg

I still need to drive the car more before I decide long term how to proceed with the exhaust, it is a tad loud in the car but I didn't put the Builders choice dynamat in the rear compartment floor so this may tame it down some...we shall see. I'm very happy with the exhaust from a performance perspective and don't want to choke it too much.

All up I'm absolutely stoked with the outcome. Tom was very complimentary about how the car was presented and finished and said that he loved it. While he was driving it for the brake test a guy pulled up next to him and waved him over, thinking that there might be something wrong he pulled over but the guy just wanted to buy the car! Given the mods that I've incorporated I was expecting to get knocked on a few things and the fact that I got through virtually unscathed was very gratifying. 

I'm a happy chappy.  :)

Edited by KatoKid

Congrats on a job well done, and well deserved. You must be over the moon.

Now it's all about drive time and minor refinements. Enjoy!!

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the metal some time.

Mick