Some more cool Z videos - youtube.com

Toecutter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, brent012 said:

brent012,

No personal offence intended, but that video is utter, utter garbage. It has all the usual Katayama Lore (the normal huge exaggeration of his role) but adds in - quite bizarrely - some nonsense about engineer Dr Shinichiro Sakurai (famously synonymous with Prince Motor Co, the Skyline marque and Prince - then Nissan's - racing activities) being involved. They imply that the L24 engine came about because Nissan "bought" Prince (they didn't...) and Dr Sakurai started designing Nissan engines (he didn't).

Real WTAF stuff.

2 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

brent012,

No personal offence intended, but that video is utter, utter garbage. It has all the usual Katayama Lore (the normal huge exaggeration of his role) but adds in - quite bizarrely - some nonsense about engineer Dr Shinichiro Sakurai (famously synonymous with Prince Motor Co, the Skyline marque and Prince - then Nissan's - racing activities) being involved. They imply that the L24 engine came about because Nissan "bought" Prince (they didn't...) and Dr Sakurai started designing Nissan engines (he didn't).

Real WTAF stuff.

No offence taken, I actually posted it before watching as IMO any S30 coverage on a popular YouTube channel is "cool" and worthy of sharing.

I realised it'd be historically inaccurate after the focus on Katayama right at the start. It's interesting that there's some new bullshit in there though, I assumed that all of these videos/documentaries were just recounting the same stories from each other or the same source.

Maybe the better share would have been his "Driving a Restomod Datsun 240Z" video which seems to have most of the same footage, but presumably none of the "history" parts.

22 minutes ago, brent012 said:

No offence taken...

Thank you.

I don't know where they get it from. You'd think that social media and The Information Age would help truth and balance to spread, but the opposite seems true. Just dumber and dumber.

Just last week I was having a 'conversation' with an American guy (although it was mostly him talking *at* me, and firing Google links in my direction like they were truth bombs) and he was a great example of a die-hard Katayama worshipper. According to this guy, Katayama single-handedly built "Datsun USA" (despite the bad guys back in Japan "hoping he would fail"...WTF?), and then conceived and designed the 510 and 240Z (and specifically "for the USA"). Claimed Katayama was "a qualified engineer" (he wasn't). 

It's like arguing with 'Truthers'...  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 8:15 AM, gav240z said:

Ignoring some of the "history" parts it is ok. As general advice and in support of the L-gata as opposed to the V8 swap meme it's good.

I've only got 6 minutes into it so far (can only take so much at one time...) and already its chock full o' garbage. Typical example of people viewing Japan and Japanese products through the prism of the USA, complete with Katayama Lore (who says the 510 was going to get an OHV pushrod engine until Katayama intervened?) and a complete absence of consideration for the possibility that Japanese people might have wanted a better product themselves, and were not necessarily giving a damn what Chuck in Pigsnuckle Alabama wanted. And that 'joining a freeway in a 410 was a nightmare' story was actually about the 210 in 1959. Mash up.

Does it get any better? Looks like I have about 25 minutes to go. Better get the blood pressure pills ready...