Some more cool Z videos - youtube.com

Toecutter

• Administrators

Best interior colour too! Ha.

Note he said they are still undervalued. Something I've been saying for a long time.

A good review actually, but good luck finding good ones now, especially in RHD specification.

I know I listed mine as an April Fools joke on Facebook the other day for a 1/4 mill, but I still had multiple messages about it.

Last night I took my 240z out to Springvale where a bunch of cars nuts hang out (I was meeting with some Stagea blokes) and I had several groups of young blokes come up to look at the 240z at different times.

received_206578821267596.jpeg

On 4/5/2021 at 5:53 AM, CBR Jeff said:

Nice car and a honest appraisal. I’m off for a drive. 
Jeff

My car is a basket case but I’m so glad I bought it when I did. I think I would be priced out of the market today.... 

maybe not priced out, but more that I’m willing to spend 50k (please god make it only 50k.....) over the next 5 years rather than 60-70k today.....

I agree they’re undervalued, I think until the supply of cars in the US dwindles price growth may be slower than we all hope. 

I don’t think this one has been posted. There’s 10 videos in the series so far. Some excellent rust repairs and a good guide for anyone looking to do similar work.

Though not so sure about how much they cut out with it on a rotisserie and no bracing.... :-\

you have to do some skipping to get through to the good stuff

• Administrators
On 4/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

I don’t think this one has been posted. There’s 10 videos in the series so far. Some excellent rust repairs and a good guide for anyone looking to do similar work.

Though not so sure about how much they cut out with it on a rotisserie and no bracing.... :-\

you have to do some skipping to get through to the good stuff

Yeah good series.

• Administrators

Door restoration technique of having a lap weld isn't my favorite. Also looks like they used an interesting technique of body solder to repair the door frame.

The rear 1/4 repair detail was nice to see. But a lot of this repair work looks very familiar to me, given the work I've done so far on #150.

I thought the zinc paint he used in between overlapping panels wouldn't allow you to use a spot welder. But it looks like you can with that brushed on black stuff.

The zinc primer I've used has a bronze look to it. I guess does a similar thing.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Always love Larry Chen’s passion for z cars. And a good look at z car garages operation 

I agree wholeheartedly that a 280z is still "cheap" and 1 of the most affordable S30z's to buy still. And with back dated bumpers looks almost as good as an early car (sans tail lamps IMHO).

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
46 minutes ago, AndBir said:

Another from Larry showing "One of 37 Factory-Restored Z Cars"

Got to get those hose clamps facing the correct way :-)

"One of 37 Nissan USA-Restored Z Cars".

FYI: They never went back to the factory.

21 hours ago, datsunrally said:

"As close as possible in every way"?

Settle down Larry, it's a nice start but there's a long way to go.

Jeff

Indeed.

I got into a 'conversation' with the guy who originally built that car, and he proudly stated that he had got somebody to go to Zama and get measurements for the stickers and signwriting from the original car so that they could get them mm correct. When I pointed out that his car is really not much more than a paint and stickers job, he told me that I was a "rivet counter".

Yes! Isn't that the whole f***ing point of all this? 

2 hours ago, AndBir said:

Another from Larry showing "One of 37 Factory-Restored Z Cars"

Got to get those hose clamps facing the correct way :-)

I sometimes wonder if these guys exist in their own little ecosystem of sycophants and mutual self-confirmation? There's been plenty of nonsense talked about Nissan USA's 'Vintage Z' project over the years, but also plenty of research and fact-finding (some very interesting conversations on the classiczcars forum too) and it seems as though people like Randy Jaffe don't really keep up to date with it all. He was talking about that Vintage Z "production schedule' spreadsheet as though it was drawn up before the fact, when it is much more likely to have been put together way after the fact in an attempt to get a handle on something that was a lot more chaotic than he makes it sound...

Jaffe also stated the old saw of 'HLS30-00013' being "the lowest VIN number sold to the general public". More USA-centric nonsense. I think the Australian market car 'HS30-00004' would have something to say about that for a start, let alone quite a few 'S30' and 'PS30' prefixed cars in Japan. Oh, but they don't count, do they?

I watched right to the end (should have hooked myself up to the blood pressure monitor...) and Jaffe started waxing lyrical about Mr K, and it being "his personal project" to produce the 240Z and all that jazz. Apparently Katayama virtually had to FORCE Nissan to make it. These guys really DO believe this stuff. It is bizarre. They see themselves as big Z 'collectors', enthusiasts and "dorks", but don't appear to be able to look at any of it without viewing it through the prism of the USA and the same old stories they've always been told; most of which was originally sales patter and advertising slogans.