Some more cool Z videos - youtube.com

Toecutter

• Administrators
4 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Does it get any better? Looks like I have about 25 minutes to go. Better get the blood pressure pills ready...  

Not really...once he moves on past the "history" it gets better. But you won't take away anything new.

9 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I've only got 6 minutes into it so far (can only take so much at one time...)

I didn't make it that far, so I scrolled to the 21 minute mark to see what he has to say about Dave's M3 and he's still not talk about his much hype stage 1, so I quit and decide to watch something else with a better sound track

On 11/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, HS30-H said:

Thank you.

I don't know where they get it from. You'd think that social media and The Information Age would help truth and balance to spread, but the opposite seems true. Just dumber and dumber.

Just last week I was having a 'conversation' with an American guy (although it was mostly him talking *at* me, and firing Google links in my direction like they were truth bombs) and he was a great example of a die-hard Katayama worshipper. According to this guy, Katayama single-handedly built "Datsun USA" (despite the bad guys back in Japan "hoping he would fail"...WTF?), and then conceived and designed the 510 and 240Z (and specifically "for the USA"). Claimed Katayama was "a qualified engineer" (he wasn't). 

It's like arguing with 'Truthers'...  

That's par for the course with Americans on any topic, I'm a WWII military history buff and some of the supposed info that makes it into video is just nonsense. But Americans invariably believe it, particularly if it's what they want to hear, if it's disputed the general reaction is either silence or references to other nonsense. There is virtually no original research involved in their responses, it's all cut 'n paste over and over again..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
33 minutes ago, Kuba said:

Anyone's using the brake kit mentioned in this video?

The Zcar Garage StopTech kit? I've been thinking about it. But would probably look for Mk63s first. Otherwise sounds like a good kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

I haven't watched it yet, so can someone tell me if it's accurate or not...?

7 hours ago, gav240z said:

7:30 in and you're gonna give someone a heart attack...

Thank heavens for Lisinopril Dihydrate.

Same old same old, isn't it? It starts out looking like it might be a little less USA-centric than other efforts, and then proceeds to go down the same old route with the same old tropes. No name mentioned until Katayama's ("enter Yutaka Katayama...") and everything up to that point presented as some kind of failure. Apparently Nissan - and presumably Japanese industry in general - only existed in order to service the cheaper end of the USA market? Do the people who put these things together ever consider that Nissan - let alone Japan and the Japanese people themselves - might want to have a sports car in their line-up, something to aspire to and something to be proud of in Japan...? Why do these cod history pieces always revolve around the USA market?

I don't get how anybody who considers themselves to be any kind of automotive journalist or historian can repeat The Great Katayama Removing Fairlady Emblems Fable without thinking through the logistics of it? How many cars do they think were involved? Why do they think those particular cars had 'Fairlady Z' emblems on them, and why do they think the 'Z' part was OK'd by Katayama but 'Fairlady' wasn't? Where did the '240Z' emblems suddenly come from? How come they - and the 'Datsun' scripts - just happened to fit in the same holes? What inspired the '240' name in the first place, and who came up with it? It's all just a load of bollocks draped around a germ of fact in a much wider - and far more interesting - story.

Deja vu. All over again. Thank heavens for Lisinopril Dihydrate.

• Administrators

Well after piecing together a gallery of HS30s for the past few weeks I'm already exhausted. And that's about 400 cars.. can't imagine how Katayama went removing badges from 4000 of them!

Nissan must have been paying him well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just finished watching this video of "Iconic engines", Datsun "L" series.

Thoroughly enjoyable and a bit of humour. I'm not sure if it has been posted before. 

David.

Edited by Enzo

6 hours ago, Enzo said:

Just finished watching this video of "Iconic engines", Datsun "L" series.

Thoroughly enjoyable and a bit of humour. I'm not sure if it has been posted before. 

Less than 5 mins in and already 'Mr K' is the messiah. 

No thanks.