Making a switch panel, starter, fuel pump, ignition, etc

Glen

Hey guys, im back onto the project doing some wiring, Im get confused by some things and electrics is one of them.

I have a loom and fuse module made up by castlemain rod shop for the RB30 install, problem is no wires are labled.....

So far i have identified the starter motor wire (the one hooked up), i flick the switch and motor turns  ;D Fuel pump i can turn on by two seperate wires, thing is it stays on for 10 seconds and then switches off, i hear a click in the fuse box when it goes off, the rest of the wires i have no idea. I gues one would be ignition, i know the solid red is constant 12 volt. Would have been good if castlemain rod shop named them.

Is there anyway i can identify these wires without hit zap and hope? and why does the fuel pump only run for 10 secs and shut off?

Any help would be awesome.

post-841-144023542041_thumb.jpg

post-841-144023542054_thumb.jpg

post-841-144023542066_thumb.jpg

Have you got a multimeter? You really need one for this type of work.

Have you got a factory service manual showing the RB30 computer Pinouts? You really need one of these two.

Then you can do a continuity check from the computer plug to those wires you have. Never rely on colours for looms, especially when the loom has been modified, always work your way through each wire.

The 10 second on then off of the fuel pump sounds like a priming function of the computer to me. Generally when you turn your ignition to on, the computer will start your fuel pump and ignition (coils) power supplies to get ready for the engine to crank over. Then the computer will recognise that when the engine is cranking over and it will keep the power on the fuel pump/ignition. If it does not see the engine trying to crank over it will cut power to these feeds after a period of time (10seconds seems a bit touch long). When you connect the fuel pump (to the wire which you say only turns on for 10seconds), try to then crank the engine and see if it stays on for longer.

If you don't want to destroy anything, definitely get yourself a multimeter and wiring diagram though.

Great advice, i do have a multimeter, i tested all the wires and could see around 12.4 volts of current when connected except for one wire. 10 seconds is probably more like 5 so your right there. Now heres something you might think is crazy, if i was to wire all these wires to switches, turn them all to "on" and then hit the starter button would this be emulating an ignition barrel? as im pretty sure thats where the wires were supposed to go or should i to see to if some of them are for RPM which is something i just thought of then. I have searched high and low on google for a wire diagram of a vl commodore. I shall keep looking :)

• Moderators

Glen, Sorry I didn't respond to your msg quick enough, but without being there, it's hard to help you with that wiring. Never touched a loom from CRS. I do know someone who has though..I can give them a call and find out if they have any diagrams to help. I do have a Haynes manual for a R31 Skyline....might help a bit.Let you know what I find.

Great advice, i do have a multimeter,

Does it measure resistance (Unit is Ohms)?

i tested all the wires and could see around 12.4 volts of current when connected except for one wire.

Your getting confused hear, current and voltage are two different things, but it really doesn't matter in the context of this post.

You say the wires all read 12V. When do they read 12V (I.E. Do you have anything connected to the ignition barrel)?

you might think is crazy, if i was to wire all these wires to switches, turn them all to "on" and then hit the starter button would this be emulating an ignition barrel?

No. You need to determine what the wires are actually for. When you saw wire the wires to switches, what are you meaning? Your ignition barrel will have a 12V constant feed (battery feed), In the off position, this is not connected to any wires. In the ACC position, the 12V is connected to the Accessories wire. In the On position, Accessories is and an On wire (powers fuel pump, computer, ignition etc) are connected to the constant 12V. In Start position the ACC is disconnected (so the starter gets as much power as possible), the On is still connected and the starter wire is connected.

as im pretty sure thats where the wires were supposed to go or should i to see to if some of them are for RPM which is something i just thought of then. I have searched high and low on google for a wire diagram of a vl commodore. I shall keep looking

Stop jumping to conclusions, take your battery cable off, set your multimeter to resistance, attach one end to one wire and then with the other end, determine where this wire is going by probing the end of the loom. Then work out what that pin (on the computer) or component (starter solenoid etc) is.

You are just going to kill something otherwise. Also give the shop a call.

You are just going to kill something otherwise. Also give the shop a call.

Your right, i might bite the bullet and pay an autoelec to have a look. Might only cost me $200 but if im playing with it trying to do it, it may cost a lot more by the time i melt stuff down...

Its not going into an ignition barrel its going to be a switch panel. I want to leave all the original barrel etc so i can revert it back to original nice and easily.

Thanks for the replys  ;D

Glen, Sorry I didn't respond to your msg quick enough, but without being there, it's hard to help you with that wiring. Never touched a loom from CRS. I do know someone who has though..I can give them a call and find out if they have any diagrams to help. I do have a Haynes manual for a R31 Skyline....might help a bit.Let you know what I find.

Hey Zedman, if you want to spend some time on my car (wiring and accelrator cable setup) you can take that Brandnew $300+ Exedy ceramic clutch home with you  ;D but as i said im not sure if you still need a clutch or not.

• Moderators

Glen, I would be happy to help but just not sure when I can make it up to Dromana. Maybe one weekend; not this one as I have the wife's B'day but next weekend? Let me know if that's ok and we can work out something.

• 2 months later...