260Z Rear Stub Axle Play

crowe

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has issues with small (tiny) side to side movement coming from their rear stub axles. I can just feel it when i rock the wheel back and forth and really just want to know if that is normal or acceptable. There appeard to be no endplay which is what the nissan manual mainly discusses. The bearing design insnt concave so theoretically there should be none (side to side) but just wanted some opinions and thoughts on it before i go pulling it all apart.

The bearings and stub axles have only just been rebuilt (albiet 3 yrs ago) but only just noticed now after the car has been back on the road, only 800km from the restoration being finished.

Thanks, Callum

Did you get the bearing from Nissan or an aftermarket supplier? The factory ones are C4 type and some of the aftermarkets are C3 you want C4. I have just installed my stub axles and new bearings and there is no movement at all - nice and tight. What f/lb did you do the stub axle nut upto when to installed the bearing last time? The factory specs is between 180f/lb - 239f/lb. I have done mine to 200f/lb.

I get some side to side movement but it is not from the stub axles/bearings it is the whole suspension arm moving on the bushings. However I know why this is as I have only loosely hung my suspension in the car so in my case is due to the fact that I don't have the crush tubes installed yet ;) (things you do to make the car a roller to get it home from the panel shop)

Hi Nzeder, thanks for the feedback.

It was that long ago i cannot remember where i got the bearings but i reckon i would have got them from a bearing shop rather than nissan. Is the C3 bearing you are talking about the outer or inner bearing. When i put them togther they felt good, only now after a few kms can you feel the play.

My torque wrench only goes to 180 and i would have definitely gone at least that tight and a little more no doubt, i usually try and go somewhere in the middle of what the manual states when tightening bolts.

I will try and find the bearing receipt and see if it mentions anything about C3 or C4.

Thanks, callum