SOLD - FS Datsun 240Z - 1973 - V8 Engineered

George

As an ownere of both at the moment.....

The 5 is great fun and a car that my partner likes to drive and be driven in.

My 5 being a very early one has the short nose crank, but if serviced properly, this is not an issue. My car has 205000km on the original motor and will go for another 200k easily. The suspension is stock, but handles very well.

The best bit was the price, $5k, and I don't have to worry about where I park it or it something happens to it at that value, plus insurance is dirt cheap.

The Z is a more hard core driver for me, well all the Zeds I have owned are either racers or ex racers and weren't popular with passengers, or others used to more creature comforts.

Keep the Z and spend not a lot on an early MX, and when the bug bites, modify the MX. Just be careful with what model as turboing a NA is cheap and easy, but I'm not sure on legalities.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After owning both now, which one was more 'fun' to drive? Talking pure driving enjoyment, not the enjoyment you get by simply owning it.

I've had a few mx5's but the best ones were my first which was a supercharged 1.8 and the next one which was a 1.6 AVO kitted motec monster, both were setup for track work but were very comfortable on the street but I prefered the S/C 1.8 which only had 116 rwkw but managed a stage win and a couple of 2nd's in the 2003 dutton rally(man I miss that car), it was extremely well setup by the previous owner.

Its hard to say whats more fun to drive as I got the most enjoyment going for spirited drives through the black spur in the 5 but I love just cruising in the Z, although I've never really given the Z a hard time with its tiny tyres.

I know one day I'll get another S/C NA mx5 but I've got 2 240z's at the moment and I wouldn't sell one for an mx5

• 2 months later...

So today I picked up an MX5. Sweet.

It's a red 2004 SE turbo model and I'm stoked with it. After a 5 hour clean it's presentable and it needed it! Looked like it hadn't been washed or vacuumed in a year. Pics tomorrow but not in this thread.

So this all means I really need the 240 to go ASAP. Poor thing. It's like I'm kicking it out of home for no good reason. :(

I had both of them in the garage and honestly, the 240 is one f#cking sexy car. Oh well. I'll be back in a Z with an L one day. Just because I'm selling this one doesn't mean I'm over them. :)

Mx5's is the best handeling car i have ever driven. I used to have a NA and then i turboed it. The person that bought it off me now has the club record at phillip island 1:50

The only cars beating him are mega $$$ expensive things.

good luck with your 240 sale.

• 1 month later...

just had george and pauly pay me a visit

thanks for the drive george awesome car and very very quick

you have inspired me to pull my finger out and get my zed on the road asap

will be playing lotto more often in the hope of buying your car

Loui

• 3 weeks later...