Rust and Dent repair or Full Restoration?

Chipp

Hi Brains Trust

My New Years resolution is to finally (after 15 years) get my Blue 240z back on the road and would like to hear your thoughts on what I should do. My car appears to have minimal visible rust, a couple of panel dings and Vinyl roof removed. I understand that there is most likely unseen rust and they can rust from the inside out but after 50 years all of the known rust spots are still solid

After speaking with to a couple of paint and panel shops I am in 2 minds as to whether to just get the repairs done or go down the full restoration route. My concern is that if I go down the full restoration route the Zed wont get used as it would become an investment and not a car to take out and drive.  Most likely I would just take my other unrestored red zed driving instead.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

IMG_20201128_173728.jpg

3 hours ago, Chipp said:

After speaking with to a couple of paint and panel shops I am in 2 minds as to whether to just get the repairs done or go down the full restoration route. My concern is that if I go down the full restoration route the Zed wont get used as it would become an investment and not a car to take out and drive.  Most likely I would just take my other unrestored red zed driving instead.

That is not the question.

The relevant question is: How much do you want to spend?

Edited by C.A.R.

That is a valid question and at this moment a difficult one for me to answer. At this moment there is no budget restraints but I dont want to over capitalise. 

At the time of taking  the zed off the road it was my club car to compete in the odd hill climb, TRE Rallys etc and I would still like to do this and not be scared of scratching a spoiler or rim etc . If I purchased this car to day it would cost in the order of $45k to $55k so spending another $70k to $100k isnt making sense and   turns it into an investment. No doubt If it was a $15k zed shell I wouldnt have any issues spending the cost to restore the shell.

My concern is that the restoration companies in Newcastle want to immediately starting to undrilling spot welds to look for hidden rust  inside rails and behind guards even though  there is no signs of rust.

My thinking is repair the areas I know about (bubbles no holes) and maybe look very closely at the known issue area and repair and replace if needed (Battery tray  rear lights areas etc) or is going to cost as much as restoration .

Am I way off here? What would others do in this situation? Your feedback is greatly appreicated

1 hour ago, Chipp said:

repair the areas I know about (bubbles no holes)

You may have a better idea of what is "really" required once you get the shell back to bare metal.

Unfortunately these cars tend to rust from the inside out so it depends on what peace of mind you want as to the potential for "problems" appearing in the future.

Yes I definetly have no issues with going back to bare metal in those areas and the usual suspect areas but a couple of the panel beaters are suggesting removing sills just to check in behind them to look for rust.  

With restorations is it the rust removal and metal replacement that is the costly component? or is it smoothing the waves in the metal of the 50 year old body?

The paint and panel companies said they can spend a 1000 of hour getting the body lines smoothed with no filler.  Is this to a concourse level or is this to a level to what it was like when it came off the production line (minus the rust)?

22 hours ago, Chipp said:

Im in 2 minds as to whether to just get the repairs done or go down the full restoration route. My concern is that if I go down the full restoration route the Zed wont get used as it would become an investment and not a car to take out and drive.  Most likely I would just take my other unrestored red zed driving instead.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

Aside from how much you can/want to spend, I think it comes down to what you want out of the Z. if you want to keep driving it and enjoy when you take it out, and I say fix what you can see, and the small things that pop out, but with the expectation that rust repairs could expotentially grow. This will generally get the car back to you quicker, and should be cheaper. Also, un-restored Z has hidden rust. 

Exhibit A: https://www.viczcar.com/forums/topic/19666-project-factory-fresh/
Exhibit B: https://www.viczcar.com/forums/topic/30840-redrbzed-minor-rust-repair/
Exhibit C: https://www.viczcar.com/forums/topic/25010-micheals-bent-bus/

If you want to go back to bare metal on the whole car, i.e. sand blast and rotisserie resto, then you most like be spending well into $100k, that's assuming you want to do everything right, because why would you not if you have gone to this effort. Just my opinion. And like you said, you probably wont drive it as much, and be too worried to park it anywhere. But you also said you have another Z, so this might be worth doing.....

14 hours ago, Chipp said:

My thinking is repair the areas I know about (bubbles no holes) and maybe look very closely at the known issue area and repair and replace if needed (Battery tray  rear lights areas etc) or is going to cost as much as restoration .

Am I way off here? What would others do in this situation? Your feedback is greatly appreicated

In my current situation, and probably for a long time, I would fix the known issues. My Z cost me less than most running 2-seaters at the time and in the current market, maybe because of its wonderful V8 >:D. I purchased it 12 months ago. I am not overly worried to leave it out of my sight for a while (not hours at a shopping centre though). I dont plan on driving it in the rain (need to upgrade the wipers), but it has been in the rain and that doesnt really phase me. It may even see a track day or two. 

14 hours ago, Chipp said:

I definitely have no issues with going back to bare metal in those areas and the usual suspect areas but a couple of the panel beaters are suggesting removing sills just to check in behind them to look for rust.

OK, then just tell the panel shop(s) what you want repaired and get them to quote on that.

For the internal frame/body areas maybe just spray a bucket load of internal frame coating ( https://www.ppcco.com.au/eastwood83.html ) to slow down any further rust development.

I have the opposite problem, everytime I bring my racecar to C.A.R for repair, I worried if lurch will open the pandora box :)

don't do a full restoration if you want to track or hill climb the car. (just my opinion)

7 hours ago, OdinZ said:

Aside from how much you can/want to spend, I think it comes down to what you want out of the Z. if you want to keep driving it and enjoy when you take it out, and I say fix what you can see, and the small things that pop out, but with the expectation that rust repairs could expotentially grow. This will generally get the car back to you quicker, and should be cheaper. Also, un-restored Z has hidden rust. 

This is what I was thinking repair the known rust issues, remove the vinyl roof and dents, Make it look good and get out and have fun with it. I also recognise that there is hidden rust in an unrestored Z and if the project.  

3 hours ago, 260z blues said:

Sounds like you just want to fang it around and enjoy the driving experience without the worry. I would say just patch it and enjoy it for now if your not going to use it like you want to after a full resto

Yes for me it is about the driving experience. 

3 hours ago, AndBir said:

OK, then just tell the panel shop(s) what you want repaired and get them to quote on that.

For the internal frame/body areas maybe just spray a bucket load of internal frame coating ( https://www.ppcco.com.au/eastwood83.html ) to slow down any further rust development.

Thanks for the feedback. I definetly will get the repairer to use use a bucket load of internal frame coating to slowdown further rust development. For me I think is a better option than removing the sills and sand blasting.

2 hours ago, C.A.R. said:

If the rust is just bubbles, don't do anything. Just put it back together and use the Z.
As soon as you start investigating the rust issues, you'll open Pandora's Box.

At the moment they are only just bubbles, There is no rust holes that I can see. I was thinking to get them to check these areas look at the floors and rails (impact damage), repair the vinyl roof and dents repaired.

My concern is that I would end up opening up Pandoras Box.

38 minutes ago, hmd said:

don't do a full restoration if you want to track or hill climb the car. (just my opinion)

This was my thoughts.