rear 2 pot caliper conversion

Hey posting this again, Don't know where the last posting went, just getting my head around this.

I'm wanting to put 2 pot's on a Zed leg, sound's like a bit of mucking around getting the hand brake working with the drum over rotor system, anyhow I found this on the net and thought some may find interesting

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#rearbrake

Anyone done this?

this is a write up for upgrading a 240sx (180sx or 200sx) to 300zx brakes...it would seem to be ridiculously hard to get this working on z.

if you want to upgrade the rear brake, i'm aaaaaalmost finished the r31 upgrade, and if you modify the handbrake brackets (basically weld the z ones to the r31 bracket) and of course modify the r31 caliper mounts, it is reasonably straight forward

they are only single piston, but this would seem to be more than adequate for street and moderate track work.

alternatively there is the 280zx upgrade that lurch did, with the sweet looking custom aluminum mounts..

Hey posting this again, Don't know where the last posting went, just getting my head around this.

I'm wanting to put 2 pot's on a Zed leg, sound's like a bit of mucking around getting the hand brake working with the drum over rotor system, anyhow I found this on the net and thought some may find interesting

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#rearbrake

Anyone done this?

Will have a read of these articles, they are much more pertinent:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103767

-Steve

I would like to make the Nissan one work, half for looks! I'm not interested in running slides,  (Ran the 31's on my old 180B SSS gravel rally car and was wanting more). I was wanting to run them under 15" superlites if they will fit.

I am working on a DIH (Drum in Hat) setup for my zed with some 2 pot calipers on the rear. The setup I am working on a very hybrid and currently only a one off. I chose the setup I am working on so it should fit under 15" rims and is a vented rotor.

The issue with any kind of DIH setup for the S30 is the lack of space behind/between the axle and the housing/backing plate mounting. So very low height shoes have to be used. I have found a few setups that are workable depends on the size of the rotor you require or vented or non vented.

If you want a larger setup I have solution that I can sell someone - you just need to complete the caliper mounting for your chosen calipers and the handbrake connection, but this setup is a 302mm x 22mm rotor with a 190mm internal park brake.

I have another solution that I need to complete that could also work with some new shoes that I have just found out about (ie 6-8mm lower than the first trial) this setup will fit under 15" rims and is vented too.

I just need to work to calm down so I can spend some more time in the shed and complete these solution

• Moderators

Another setup that can be used with the Nissan 2 pot calipers (slightly illegal for the road) that I have seen is to use a hydraulic handbrake. You can use a small clutch master cylinder where the original handbrake mechanism is to operate the rear calipers when you need the handbrake. But the DIH setup if possible would be better!

If I was to do this all over again (too much $$ spent on this and that) I would do the following.

1 purchase some of the Z31 ZR rear rotors = 282x20 with 57mm total hat

1 pair of the Hi-Spec Motorsport SVA 2 pot park brake calipers (see pic)

Then just make an adaptor for the caliper mounting and then some hand brake cables to suit.

Cheaper, easier in the long run and will fit under 15" rims

The calipers are not cheap but then neither is a custom bracket for the DIH setup that I am working on as CNC time is not cheap when you don't have access to this your self. The advantage of the Hi-Spec calipers is a low profile so will work with the Z31 ZR rear rotor.

SVA-Sierra.gif